What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wi fi access

Kgarland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am brand new to I Pad. I cannot figure out how to access Wi fi at home as the screen asks for a bewildering array of info such as IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS, Search Domains, and Client ID

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has come to your rescue or

Posted a greeting or welcome. So I feel honored to welcome you to the forum. Now as to your wifi specific problem, I'm afraid I'm unable to assist. Perhaps a super moderator, highly technical will see this post and provide the necessary info to assist you.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am brand new to I Pad. I cannot figure out how to access Wi fi at home as the screen asks for a bewildering array of info such as IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS, Search Domains, and Client ID

Without more information it's a bit hard to advise, but you shouldn't need to go into all this technical info to get started with Wi-Fi. Try this:

1. Go to Settings.

2. Select Wi-Fi. If it is "Off", tap the swtich to turn it on.

3. You should see "Choose a Network" as well as the device trying to find any available Wi-Fi local networks in range. Give it a few moments, and it will display the available Wi-Fi networks which you can choose from. Networks which are secured and require a login and/or password will appear with a small lock icon.

If there are no networks in range, then you need to get to a Wi-Fi "hotspot". Depending on where you live, many places such as libraries, hotels, malls and cafes will provide free Wi-Fi access, and you can probably search online for free Wi-Fi hotspots in your city. (You can also set up a hotspot in your home and enjoy Wi-Fi access, although that's a bit out of scope of discussion here.)

If you're not in a Wi-Fi hotspot, an alternative if you have a Wi-Fi+3G device is that you can also use the 3G cellular network to access the Internet (assuming you have signed up to a carrier's data plan.)

This next bit is a bit technical, but just to be complete - some Wi-Fi networks will ask for a client ID or a static IP, but if you don't know what these are, then you probably don't need them because this information will have to be provided from the network's system administrator. You can also join a "closed" Wi-Fi network, i.e. one which will not appear in the network list. To do this, you need to know the network name, password and security type - but again, if you don't have this information beforehand, you're probably not authorized for access.

I'm thinking that if a bit more troubleshooting needs to happen, you can also call Apple's phone support because new devices come with 90 days' support to help you get sorted.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Without more information it's a bit hard to advise, but you shouldn't need to go into all this technical info to get started with Wi-Fi. Try this:

1. Go to Settings.

2. Select Wi-Fi. If it is "Off", tap the swtich to turn it on.

3. You should see "Choose a Network" as well as the device trying to find any available Wi-Fi local networks in range. Give it a few moments, and it will display the available Wi-Fi networks which you can choose from. Networks which are secured and require a login and/or password will appear with a small lock icon.

If there are no networks in range, then you need to get to a Wi-Fi "hotspot". Depending on where you live, many places such as libraries, hotels, malls and cafes will provide free Wi-Fi access, and you can probably search online for free Wi-Fi hotspots in your city. (You can also set up a hotspot in your home and enjoy Wi-Fi access, although that's a bit out of scope of discussion here.)

If you're not in a Wi-Fi hotspot, an alternative if you have a Wi-Fi+3G device is that you can also use the 3G cellular network to access the Internet (assuming you have signed up to a carrier's data plan.)

This next bit is a bit technical, but just to be complete - some Wi-Fi networks will ask for a client ID or a static IP, but if you don't know what these are, then you probably don't need them because this information will have to be provided from the network's system administrator. You can also join a "closed" Wi-Fi network, i.e. one which will not appear in the network list. To do this, you need to know the network name, password and security type - but again, if you don't have this information beforehand, you're probably not authorized for access.

I'm thinking that if a bit more troubleshooting needs to happen, you can also call Apple's phone support because new devices come with 90 days' support to help you get sorted.

If the wifi in your home does require a password, iPad will ask for it. I was lucky to remember mine. You'll see a lock on an icon with wifi underneath it if that's the case.

travroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Click on the name of your wifi network, NOT the blue arrow to the right (which leads to those confusing parameters). Easy peesy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts