What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why the prohibit symbol when I try to transfer files from USB drive > iPad?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
15 minutes ago, I successfully transferred about 5GB worth of files from a USB thumb drive which I’ve been using with the iPad for about 2 years now. I realized I needed more files, loaded them from Mac to the same thumb drive, then plugged the thumb drive to the iPad, watched it mount, but when I tried to transfer from that same thumb drive to the same iPad, I got the prohibit symbol.

Why would this be? I have far more free space on the iPad than the files require.

Thank you for any clues!

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This problem appears to be related to the charge available on the iPad, though the OS didn’t throw out a warning. I was at 18%. After charging up to 26%, I was able to make the file transfer.

Hope this helps others!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The reason makes sense, since thumb drives take power from the iPad. It would be bad if it tried to transfer it with too little power. The data could become corrupted. The warning could have been a little clearer. Apple’s warning are usually batter than the ones I’ve seen from Windows, but for some reason warning/error messages on computers have always been hit or miss. I get the feeling the guys writing them are a little under motivated.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
that’s a good way of putting it. I had no idea that data corruption could be a result of power interruption during transfer to iPad. Yikes!

The fact that USB media can be disconnected without “ejecting,” as required on a Mac or PC has in a way lulled me into a sense of security unwarranted.

The only similar warning I can think of - one that’s more verbose - happens when you install system updates which either require you to be plugged into the mains, or which issue a warning that battery power is too low to properly complete the update.

That’s stuff you really gotta know!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that in all those cases, while the warning was vague, the protection was not. You were not allowed to do those risky things,

As far as being able to disconnect without ejecting, I don’t know what Apple does that makes it consider this safe. Obviously if you unplug when a file is being transferred something is going to go wrong. I suspect that it will result in the entire file not transfering, and any file on the iPad not being deleted (or vise versa). Otherwise it would not be safe in any sense. I’m also fairly sure you’d get a warning that the file transfer failed, but as per our previous discussion I’m not confident on that one.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a way to Eject USB media from an iPad? I thought it was safe to remove the media after file transferring is done, which is my practice; I wait until file transfer activity is completely done and then I remove the USB media.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An article I saw re: iOS 13 (I'll read more on this) said that the safest way is to power down, then eject.
Next best thing is to make sure that all transfers are completed, then to close out the files app. On those thumb drives that have lights, see that they are not blinking.

honestly, the consequences of getting this bit wrong makes me think to power down and then remove, and not plan file transfers wisely to reduce their number and frequency...or to use airdrop and avoid the problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just make sure to give it awhile after I've transferred the file(s). Since I'm not transferring multi gigabyte files, it doesn't take long. Normally all I need is to get a few documents moved that can't (for one reason or another) be done wireless.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you say, ‘give it a while,’ is the iPad finishing up even after the progress circle has finished and disappeared?

Most reactions

Latest posts