What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so many iOS app crashes? Isnt there a kernel?

billfir44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have various problems on my iPad 2 (5.1.1), especially with accessing the N/W. A support guy at the Genius counter ran diags and there are many app crashes, including numerous crashes of iOS's internal processes.

Why doesn't the iOS kernel prevent all of those crashes from affecting other processes? There are a number of different apps crashing. Can there be so many buggy processes? Especially for iOS's own internal processes? Isn't that one of the primary responsibilities of a kernel? That no process should be able to hurt other processes?

I'm wondering if the problems are caused by bugs in iOS (kernel) causing not only its own processes to crash but non-IOS processes as well.

Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited:

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dunno, nothing has crashed for me since upgrading but the Apple support community discussions page has lots of user related complaints of issues with os6. Granted, you only go there to complain and lots of users have found nothing but great things but if you are having issues anyways, why not? Maybe it will be better?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are these problems resolved in iOS 6?

Since I don't see any of the problems you describe on iOS 4, 5 or 6, it's hard to say.

We have test devices running on every major version on iOS and even as development hardware, they are incredibly stable.

Apple won't even help you until you upgrade to the latest version, so start there.

If you are still seeing this behavior after upgrading, take your device to the Apple store and have them run hardware diagnostics.

Most reactions