What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not MacBook with iPad screen?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been reading blogs and some of the naysayers are just rabid in their putdowns of the iPad, because you can't do "real work" on it. It won't replace my desk top blah blah blah. Most of us here on the iPad Forums have a desk top computer, a lap top computer and maybe even a netbook and we still want the iPad because it does some of the things that these other computers do not do well.

And above it all we want something that "just works".

We don't need it to run that 32,000 row Excel spreadsheet or write "War and Peace", we want to read our email, want to be able to read a book or check the news from the sunroom or the garage or on the train.

But can you imagine a MacBook Air type unit with an iPad screen that can be rotated or removed and the you have even more flexibility.

We are living in exciting times!!!!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not on laptop style device, not quite yet. Look for an iMac and standalone Apple monitor with Multitouch next. The one main reason I think you won't see a laptop yet is heat. It would not be comfortable to use in a tablet mode. That is going to be the nuggets complaint about full power Table PCs by other companies (once they get a muli-touch surface and interface that works as smoothly as Apple's).

I can't see Apple making a rotating or removeable screen like current PC tablets use. It just doesn't match the ethstetics of a simple design.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Dorje , one of my friend have a HP with rotating screen, he told me: ''when i buy i have big hope in the computer, but after 2 weeks i realize this machine is just a joke i just can use it for present my catalogue products to my customer and i can't stay long time to have it on my arm as it's heavy and not comfortable , so it's why many i put on a table , desk and turn the screen ..... for what i do with a Digital frame can do it better ''.....

I don't believe too much in Imac 27'' , but for some application this can be perfect but not for all use

@finnedog , you are 100% right most of us have a Desktop a notebook and we want a Ipad because he do many things our other device don't well, example i will buy one for my mom's (65 yrs) for she do some MSN, Skype, Chat and read her email, when i explain her she ho yes so i will bring it in my kitchen and what watch my selected TV show when i cook .... when my father listen that he say that's perfect so during that time i will watch Eurosport in peace .. they have a desktop cannot do that as is not comfortable , a notebook too heavy, sensible (water oil cooking) .. so for this kind of use the IPAD is perfect

The universal machine doesn't, but the perfect nomad one is the IPAD

Eddie66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I was just thinking the same thing. Let's ask Apple for a MacBook with an iPad touch screen. That's the perfect combo!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never going to happen. Apple did the research and found that touch screens do not work well with desktops or laptops. Numerous people make iPad cases with keyboards, and Apple has the bluetooth keyboard that can be used with it.

xcanuc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I believe it would be relatively easy. Allow a video in on the iPad. When it is docked in the laptop it is just a monitor. When undocked it is a regular iPad. Plus then I could use the iPad as a monitor for my camera. Double win for me. :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are aftermarket cases which do this. Not a large market for them, but they are out there.

Most reactions

Latest posts