What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesn't the arrow go away?

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take a look:

It is my understanding that the arrow to the left of the bluetooth "on" indicator, means that location services are being used. The problem is that for the last week or so, it doesn't go away, even when WIFI and Cellar are off. What does this mean? Why doesn't the arrow ever go away?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look:

It is my understanding that the arrow to the left of the bluetooth "on" indicator, means that location services are being used. The problem is that for the last week or so, it doesn't go away, even when WIFI and Cellar are off. What does this mean? Why doesn't the arrow ever go away?
It means that one or more of your apps are always using location services, even when in the background. To check which apps are using location services and how often, go to Settings>General>Restrictions>Location Services and check out the list of apps and how they're allowed to use location services. You could try turning off location services to apps that are set to always and see if that solves the problem. You can also set some apps to only use location services when actually using the app.

With a WiFi + cellular iPad, those apps can also get their location info via the built in GPS, even when WiFi and cellular data are turned off, unless you turn on airplane mode.

Let us know if this helps.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can turn off your location services if you don't want that arrow to appear :)

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It means that one or more of your apps are always using location services, even when in the background. To check which apps are using location services and how often, go to Settings>General>Restrictions>Location Services and check out the list of apps and how they're allowed to use location services. You could try turning off location services to apps that are set to always and see if that solves the problem. You can also set some apps to only use location services when actually using the app.

With a WiFi + cellular iPad, those apps can also get their location info via the built in GPS, even when WiFi and cellular data are turned off, unless you turn on airplane mode.

Let us know if this helps.
Thanks, this did the trick. Some app, "Ufcfans" was causing the problem. As soon as I turned location services off for that app, the arrow went away. Wasn't this draining my battery a little as well?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, this did the trick. Some app, "Ufcfans" was causing the problem. As soon as I turned location services off for that app, the arrow went away. Wasn't this draining my battery a little as well?
Yes, extensive use of location services is quite a drain on the battery.

Most reactions

Latest posts