What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does wifi connection slow down at times?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yet my desktop doesn't have this problem. The iPad connection slows down at times and videos do not load up when these problems occur. However, the web browser (Safari) seems to work OK but a little slower than usual at those times.

My broadband connection at home is pretty fast with speeds of around 7mb. And teh problems occur even when I am quite close to the router itself. Yet other times I could be in the back garden and there would be no problems.

Is the problem with the iPad wifi?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest software version is 3.2.1 and it has been known to improve troublesome WiFi connection problems.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It could also be interference. Some cordless phones, microwaves and other wireless things in your house could affect the reception.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I second the interference. Try changing the broadcast channel on your router to something obscure like channel 8 or 3, something not many routers in your area are likely to broadcast on.

Last edited:

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also you can squeeze a bit more speed out of it by only broadcasting 802.11g intend of supporting all formats (g AND N) if you don't have any "N" devices this make a lot of sense to do. (yes, the iPad is 802.11n capable.)
Another thing to try is to relocate your router to a middle point in your home to get better coverage. Hope that will help you!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thing to ask... is there anyone else in your home using your Internet connection? When my wife is on her computer and our daughter is on hers, that can really slow things down when several users are connecting through the same device at the same time.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can tell there is a problem with wifi on my iPad. It happens from time to time but is an inconvenience when it does happen. Like I said earlier, the same problem does not occur with my desktop or the laptop when I was using that.

Where I can I download the softwre update that's supposed to improve wifi reception on the iPad?

Thanks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to connect your iPad to your computer and run iTunes. If it does not automatically tell you there is an update, you can click on Check for Update.

itunes9.jpg

Once iTunes is open, select your iPad under Devices and check the Software Version number. If it is NOT 3.2.1, click on the Check for Update box and it will tell you that an update is available and you will have the choice to ignore it, download it but not install it or download it and install it. It could take some time to download the update and install it, so you will want to do this when you are willing to be without your iPad for at least 30-45 minutes (or more).

Last edited:

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be a neighbor using the same WiFi channel. Try switching channels.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your tips. The first I suppose I will try is run the software update and see if that improves it.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to connect your iPad to your computer and run iTunes. If it does not automatically tell you there is an update, you can click on Check for Update.

itunes9.jpg

Once iTunes is open, select your iPad under Devices and check the Software Version number. If it is NOT 3.2.1, click on the Check for Update box and it will tell you that an update is available and you will have the choice to ignore it, download it but not install it or download it and install it. It could take some time to download the update and install it, so you will want to do this when you are willing to be without your iPad for at least 30-45 minutes (or more).

Thanks. Seems to have done the trick.

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could also be the types of supported 802.11 adapters on our WAP. Note that if you have an 802.11 a/b adapter and a 802.11g adapter on the same router, the G adpter will only run at the a/b speed, unless you have a dual band router.

Most reactions

Latest posts