What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does itunes suck so bad.

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like it makes me think apple is not that great sometimes because they can make a really wonderful device like the ipad, iphone but can't seem to make a decent media manager.

I get it apple wants things to be so simple that people can't screw it up, but in return itunes is very limited so most times I can't do what I want. I have about 20 things I hate with itunes but the main things are why can't itunes just play my files and not have to convert them. Is apple ever going to give up on these formats or at least just accept the most popular.

I don't understand why I must use itunes to sync my ipad and only one computer at a time can manage the device. The reason this is so upsetting is not because apple doesn't do it but the why. Steve Jobs is like a really rich but abusive controlling bf or gf.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
This must be a new weekly topic.

Bringing the media into a single type assists in controlling the size and drivers necessary on mobile devices to play such media. Thus, this decreases the amount of memory that must be dedicated on the iPad, iPod, iPhone and other devices to carry multiple codecs and increase the opportunity for media replay failure.

Space is at a premium on portable items and you have to do any and everything you can to use the space efficiently. This is one of the trade offs. Sorry you have so many problems with iTunes. I've used it for years, since my first iPod actually, and never looked back. Several other media players get close but I personally feel iTunes is the best and most polished overall package.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though Steve Jobs' personal net worth can't touch guys like Bill Gates, he has made Apple the second wealthiest company in the country in terms of net worth ($222 billion), second only to Exxon Mobil, higher than the net worth of the mighty Microsoft and even higher than the GDP of the entire country of Ireland!

richest.jpg

This being the case, I can't see what his motivation would be to make any changes to the way Apple does business.

OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This must be a new weekly topic.

Bringing the media into a single type assists in controlling the size and drivers necessary on mobile devices to play such media. Thus, this decreases the amount of memory that must be dedicated on the iPad, iPod, iPhone and other devices to carry multiple codecs and increase the opportunity for media replay failure.

Space is at a premium on portable items and you have to do any and everything you can to use the space efficiently. This is one of the trade offs. Sorry you have so many problems with iTunes. I've used it for years, since my first iPod actually, and never looked back. Several other media players get close but I personally feel iTunes is the best and most polished overall package.

dude I'm pretty informed and i have to call bs on this. You are clearly an apple fanboy and you honestly believe that apple can't do it in a heartbeat if they wanted too. Why can an android tablet do it what's the trade off there. Itunes doesn't suck if you use it just how apple likes, the problem is not everybody can be a good little consumer. I don't have any problems with itunes as I don't use it and never will. I do sync the ipad everyonce in a while to do a backup but I just find other ways to do what apple won't let me.

Anyway I'm not trying to attack apple it is what is, it's been this way always with them. It just amazes me that it doesn't upset more people. To say itunes is the best I guess it is if you own all apple products.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway I'm not trying to attack apple it is what is, it's been this way always with them. It just amazes me that it doesn't upset more people.
Obviously you are in the minority. If you only read the forums and blogs, you would think that iTunes is a horrible failure, but I read somewhere that Apple has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 million "mobile devices" (iPods, iPhones, iPads) that interface with iTunes. If it was such a huge piece of crap, believe me, changes would be made but until it has an effect on their income and profit margin, don't look for anything to happen to iTunes any time soon!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree that iTunes is by far the worst part of being an iGadget owner.
It really is a bloated hot steaming bowl of frothing dog crap - a huge sucking sin that I have to connect my perfectly wonderful glass and metal device like an umbilical cord to that confused, putrid, stinking cesspool of slow bloat software fail.

But that is just me being nice.

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway I'm not trying to attack apple it is what is, it's been this way always with them. It just amazes me that it doesn't upset more people.
Obviously you are in the minority. If you only read the forums and blogs, you would think that iTunes is a horrible failure, but I read somewhere that Apple has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 million "mobile devices" (iPods, iPhones, iPads) that interface with iTunes. If it was such a huge piece of crap, believe me, changes would be made but until it has an effect on their income and profit margin, don't look for anything to happen to iTunes any time soon!

I don't know. I think Itunes is pretty much a huge pile of crap, most of the people I know with Apple devices (which seems to be almost everyone I work with) pretty much feels the same way. Still, I keep buying Apple gadgets. Why is this? Because I like the gadgets enough to overlook my distaste for Itunes. I don't see it as an either / or argument.

I think Itunes will be going through a fairly major change sooner rather than later if the whole cloud based storage system actually comes to be a reality.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple created iTunes to use their device formats and to sync their devices... As well as being able to use their web content. Not really sure why you expect an all format audio program when it wasn't created for that purpose. So what I want is a list of why you don't like it... It's nice you have a bunch of friends that don't like it but why specifically?

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With that being said, iTunes is definitely not my sole content provider for my iGadgets. It is there when I need it (for backing up and iOS updates), but other than that, it just kinda sits there on the desktop minding its own business.

I was talking to one of our Canadian members recently who asked about other LEGAL sources of downloading music and I said that in the days before I got my first iPod, I bought most of my music in the form of MP3's from Amazon. I was amazed to find out that Amazon does not offer MP3's for sale in Canada! No Kidding!

In terms of books, I do believe that it is the general consensus that iBooks sucks, at least in terms of content and that is the main reason I wanted an iPad in the first place.

I would have to say that I do have one fairly significant complaint about buying stuff from iTunes. I listen to a lot of Classical music and a "typical" symphony might have 3 or 4 movements. Apple will sell all but one of them for 99¢ (or maybe $1.29), but the remaining piece is only available on the album! While I am not quite ready to call iTunes a "bloated hot steaming bowl of frothing dog crap", I vote with my wallet and don't buy much of this type of music from iTunes.

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you read the human interface guidelines for app developers? It is strict, clear, smart and has a reason.

Whoever wrote the user interface guidelines to iTunes should be executed.

Why does one need to go to so many different places to manage music on a stinking iPod? What purpose does Ping serve in the whole mess? How about one screen that shows my videos and what I want to do with them instead of drilling down through so deep to do anything in multiple side and sometimes not-side menus. Why not make file transfer to your device's apps make sense? What about organizing thing like pictures?

It is a typical example of bloatware that has lost it's clarity and purpose since the project's start.

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you 1991-C4, I also buy most of my music through Amazon. The problem is, in the end I still have to use Itunes to get the music on my device! I don't have a huge problem with Itunes as a provider, I have a problem with Itunes as a piece of software (if that makes any sense).

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its just something you have to put up with if you want to run a Apple device. It all works great if you buy all your music in iTunes, and play it on Apple devices. ;)

Its partly about optimizing hardware decoding with limited formats (efficiency, battery life and such) and partly about making Apple money. Remember, the i devices are as much about selling content as they are about selling devices.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And what the hell are all those stupid little checkboxes?? How about some friggin mouseover tips???

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, Its not in any way ideal... & ping is a joke! But as far as the OP's complaints they where more on the lines of support for more content & other devices not really the innerworkings of iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts