What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contact pin (red), in wrong location on Google Map

dunmoanin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for looking.

I've started adding contacts, including a street address, to my iPad 2, but the location pin that then automatically appears on Google Maps is in the wrong place.

It's not wrong by miles, but it is wrong!

The question is: How do I move it..?

And please note, I'm NOT talking about the purple pins you can place yourself - I know how to move or delete those! - I'm talking about the red pin that the address in ''contacts'' seems to generate automatically in Google Maps.

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't move it, unless you change the street address you entered. Contacts is using Google's map data to place the pin, and evidently in this case that data is wrong.

All you can do is report the bad address data to Google and wait for them to fix it. This link looks like a good starting place.

Fix an error on Google Maps - Maps Help

With iOS 6, coming out this fall, Apple will no longer be using Google's map data. This may fix your address error, though it will probably introduce it's own errors along side. Hopefully Apple will also have a reporting system for mistakes.

iOS 6 will run on the iPad 2 and newer.

OP
D

dunmoanin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - thanks for that. I had a feeling that the location of the pin might be based on the postcode/zip... but as that's actually quite a large area, you'd have thought it might be possible to then make smaller adjustments yourself... oh well... all praise the fully-automated, thou shalt not do-any-of-it-yourself world..!

We'll wait and see if iOS 6 mapping manages any better... and thanks again for replying.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It also looks at the street address; just like you can enter a street address in Google Maps. This is normally accurate (within reason), but all map databases have mistakes; which is why there is a link to report those mistakes.

Most reactions

Latest posts