What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't paste mp3 files in my ipad via USB?

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do we really need itunes only to purchase songs? Can't we just copy & paste our collection of MP3s from PC to our Ipad via USB cable?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
iTunes can also help you add your own collection on your device. First, you need to add your music into the iTunes library, then you will have to sync your iPad with this iTunes setup.

iOS devices do not support simple drag'n drop like other media players, sadly. In my case, since I am not using iTunes (Ubuntu user), I manage my music using AirDisk Pro. There are a lots of apps doing the same thing, but I selected this one as I find it perfect for my needs. Under Windows, you will still need iTunes to access the shared folder of the app. This where you'll be able to do your drag'n dropping. Since I'm an Ubuntu user, the iPad/iPhone is directly supported and those shared folders do show up as any regular USB drive.

As a bonus, these apps can also have content added by wifi, which is a tad slower, but useful as you don't need any cables to make the file transfer.

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes can also help you add your own collection on your device. First, you need to add your music into the iTunes library, then you will have to sync your iPad with this iTunes setup.

iOS devices do not support simple drag'n drop like other media players, sadly. In my case, since I am not using iTunes (Ubuntu user), I manage my music using AirDisk Pro. There are a lots of apps doing the same thing, but I selected this one as I find it perfect for my needs. Under Windows, you will still need iTunes to access the shared folder of the app. This where you'll be able to do your drag'n dropping. Since I'm an Ubuntu user, the iPad/iPhone is directly supported and those shared folders do show up as any regular USB drive.

As a bonus, these apps can also have content added by wifi, which is a tad slower, but useful as you don't need any cables to make the file transfer.

Wow thank you brother, well explained. By the way, in your opinion and experience, what is the difference between itunes and Ubuntu? Why do you prefer Ubuntu?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can easily add your songs to your iTunes collection, and then sync it with your iDevice. Just copy/cut and paste your songs to the ">music >itunes>itunes media>automatically add to iTunes" folder. As a geeky sidenote, Ubuntu comes with Libmobiledevice which is used for interacting iDevices with Ubuntu, which also allows mounting of the iPad's media folder, and the full filesystem if jailbroken.

Sent from K48AP, the classic

Edit: and in case you didn't know, Ubuntu is an alternaltive open source OS, not a Windows program.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
UbuFamily said:
Wow thank you brother, well explained. By the way, in your opinion and experience, what is the difference between itunes and Ubuntu? Why do you prefer Ubuntu?

iTunes is a media manager software, Ubuntu is an operating system like Windows or OSX. The thing is that under Ubuntu Linux, they were able to integrate iOS devices as any external USB devices. This is pretty handy as you don't need special softwares or drivers to support the device. Synching is not supported with newer version of iPhones//iPad but it does work with older models of iPhone/iPod Touch.

Most reactions

Latest posts