What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Can't I make phone calls from my iPad?

Jonathan tuba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the things I have not understood since I had an iPad with SIM card is why it cant be used to make phone calls just like an iPhone. I know holding up a tablet to your ear would look silly, but with the availability of AirPods surely they could be used to talk on phone calls if connected to an iPad. Most of the time when travelling for business I have my iPad with me - and it is annoying I have to also carry an iPhone just to make and receive phone calls, when the iPad is used for everything else.

Can anyone explain the reasoning for the lack of Phone app on iPad - and if there is any way to get around this problem?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the things I have not understood since I had an iPad with SIM card is why it cant be used to make phone calls just like an iPhone. I know holding up a tablet to your ear would look silly, but with the availability of AirPods surely they could be used to talk on phone calls if connected to an iPad. Most of the time when travelling for business I have my iPad with me - and it is annoying I have to also carry an iPhone just to make and receive phone calls, when the iPad is used for everything else.

Can anyone explain the reasoning for the lack of Phone app on iPad - and if there is any way to get around this problem?
An iPad lacks the phone app because it does not have the circuitry necessary to make and receive phone calls. Your only alternative is something like Skype or FaceTime audio if you want to call someone on your iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With phones acting more and more like our main computers, there is a tendency to think of the phone's connection is the same as any other computer, as one data pipe that everything gets shoved through. But this is not true.

Cellular phones are comprised of several layers of communications protocols and technolgy/electronics. Voice and SMS are part of the older protocols and technology, while data has been added on top. If you have just voice and SMS, you have a cellphone. If you include data as well, you have a smart phone. If you only include the data hardware, you have a tablet (or other interent connected device).

There are indictions that this will change, eventually. First we will have to wait for most of the legacy cellphones to leave the market, then the carrieres will need a reason to adjust their buisiness model. There isnt' a lot of presure on them to rush.

In the mean time there are Voice Over Internet Protocol services like the Talkatone service LannyC mentioned. Most of these have a modest charge for use; since they have to link into the phone system at some point. Or, like Apple, some services allow you to link your phone to your tablet and make calls that way (as long as the phone is in range of the tablet).

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet >> There isnt' a lot of presure on them to rush....

Especially as two products, smart phone and tablet, together with associated apps, accessories, etc. can be sold rather than just one.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, was going to say that because if you do have an IPhone you can make a call from your Ipad (as Twerpoet says)--do it all the time and answer too using contacts and speaker. BUT-as NSquirrel says, phone and tablet together can/will be sold--might not occur if Ipad could make a phone call independently. Rather like me waiting to buy my Watch upgrade (hopefully) until it can work independently from Iphone.

Most reactions