What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are you not jailbreaking?

Why are you not jailbreaking?

• I am nervous about its complexity.

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Because it is against Apple's TOC and affects warranty.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • I think it is immoral.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not know what are advantages after jailbreak.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • I have already jailbroken.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I am not interested in jail breaking

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why am I not jailbreaking?

1. Been there, done that with all types of devices. "rm -rf *" anyone?
2. In the early days of Windows 3 there was a screen saver called "Johnny Castaway" - a lot of time was wasted starting the screen saver to see what Johnny was up to. If you are using a computer or tablet you should rarely see the wallpaper or any interface tweaks.
3. The first app everyone is recommended to install is iFile but hardly anyone really needs it and no one explains that root access makes it very easy to mess up and stop things working.
4. The amount of times the response to a problem is "remove your tweaks" one by one to find out which one has broken something.
5. The amount of time being spent on posts like this one.

Off Topic: Wireless sync is working on Windows 7 64bit!!!

Hegelund

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"I am nervous about its complexity."

I'm sure I can figure it out, not before a jailbreak - and not after... :(

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
I'm still confused about what Jailbreaking will allow me to do.
For instance, what use is having any extra fancy themes?
Isn't that the kind of thing more for the use of folk who like to just LOOK at how cool their iPad is rather than for the folk who actually want to use their iPad to get some work done?
I have still not heard any Jailbreaking fan come out and name ONE App for a Jailbroken iPad 2 that will make it better for work.

Cheers m'dears,
Steve

Kotja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm scared to death I'll mess something up if I jailbreak. I'm still running iOS 4.3.3 in case I change my mind later, but I'll probably just remain a nervous nelly.

akaroads

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The developers of the iPad have put tons of time and testing into making this device function correctly, reliably and universally and a jail broken pad has not had nearly the same amount of time and testing. I need this pad to function as advertised, it's not a toy. I have tech pubs and remote connect software (RDP) packages so I can operate and adjust equipment when remotely connected to Win PCs. So far my iPad has worked perfectly and I would expect it to continue to do so. Reason two, I worry that I will not be able to restore my iPad back to factory if required. Next reason... I think Jail breaking an iPad voids the warranty.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My reason is same as a lot of the others, and my reply to the poll. I'm just plain not interested. I like my iPad the way it is-has all the functionality I need.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm just not interested! What I don't know, I haven't missed and anyway I love my iPad just the way it is!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My warranty won't be renewed and i don't plan to sell my iPad 1 so I may jailbreak next year after I buy the iPad 3.

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another reason for not Jailbreaking my brand new iPad 2 has just occurred to me. Have you ever been panting in the locker-room after a hard game and have some guy come up to you and hold out a cellophane bag with a white powder in it saying, "Why not try some Smack? It won't do you any harm. You can stop using it tomorrow and be back to how you are now with no ill effects. Go on, try it. What harm can it do? It won't void your Health insurance. Just try it. It has so many benefits. You get to see all kinds of new colours. Go on, try it."
If somebody was trying to push drugs on you like that, you'd wrap a bench round their head, wouldn't you?
Why is pushing Jailbreaking as the best thing since sliced bread any different? Jailbreaking may well be good for some folk but generally speaking, the hard sell is only used by folk after a fast buck.

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
confucious .... I never meant to imply that all Jailbreakers try to push JBing on to the new guy. It's just that I'm new to all this and everywhere I look there are people saying, "Jailbreak your iPad. It won't do any harm" etc etc etc.
The thing is, I keep asking for any of the Jailbreakers to name a single thing that a jailbroken iPad 2 will do better than an un-jailbroken one with regard to making work easier. Is there a single App available to a Jailbroken iPad that is not available to a standard iPad, again for making work easier?
I don't seem to get answers except that jailbroken iPads can use better themes.

Hold the press. credit where it's due. As I understand it, there is a 5 line keyboard available to Jailbroken iPads. Now, I'll hold my hand up and say that that is a very good idea. But sadly, not for me personally. My main Computer is a Mac Mini and I already use a Bluetooth small Apple keyboard.

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts