What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are you not jailbreaking?

Why are you not jailbreaking?

• I am nervous about its complexity.

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Because it is against Apple's TOC and affects warranty.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • I think it is immoral.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not know what are advantages after jailbreak.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • I have already jailbroken.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I am not interested in jail breaking

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
there's really no benefit to jailbreaking iPads for the vast majority of users

The main reason why most people jailbreak is it get access to iPad's file system which in turn allows to install IPA files directly (just like running installers in Windows).

This is the reason why Apple does not allow file access. Otherwise people will start installing cracked apps without paying for them via Appstore. Also if you become "root" user, you can literally do whatever you want with iPad and it transforms itself in the zone of netbook/laptop (minus keyboard). Apple also doesn't want to make iPad too powerful otherwise who will buy overpriced Macbooks (which is again nothing but Unix with nice graphics)?

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there's really no benefit to jailbreaking iPads for the vast majority of users

The main reason why most people jailbreak is it get access to iPad's file system which in turn allows to install IPA files directly (just like running installers in Windows).

This is the reason why Apple does not allow file access. Otherwise people will start installing cracked apps without paying for them via Appstore. Also if you become "root" user, you can literally do whatever you want with iPad and it transforms itself in the zone of netbook/laptop (minus keyboard). Apple also doesn't want to make iPad too powerful otherwise who will buy overpriced Macbooks (which is again nothing but Unix with nice graphics)?

I know what JBing gives access to, I was part of the "1st Gen" of jail breakers when the iPhone first came out. Back when there was no Winterboard or MyWi, and you had to manually edit files to get results because the app support on Cydia just wasn't there yet.

The thing with the iPad is that unlike the iPhone, most of the mods users are going to do are going to be aesthetic as opposed to functional mods. I just don't think jailbreaking an iPad is worth voiding your warranty and the headaches that follow from Apple apps not working or Cydia apps that have yet to be updated for whatever new firmware is out.

To each his or her own though, at the end of the day people will do what they feel is best with their device. I just hope that the more people decide they want to jailbreak, they also decide to research and learn about what all a jailbreak entails (good and bad).

Last edited:

AwesomeDude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[Provocative and inaccurate content removed – DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thread is mostly good-natured and useful, with constructive contributions from both sides of the JB divide.

However, some argumentative off topic posts have had to be removed, and a couple more have required editing. I would like to point out to members that quite apart from the fact that posting extraneous, irrelevant and ill-natured material is very annoying to other users, it is also extremely time-consuming for moderators to have to come along and edit it. There is a limited amount of time at our disposal and it is absurd that we should have to expend it on such tasks when a bit of self-discipline from members would obviate that necessity.

I would therefore ask members to remain on topic and civil at all times, even when disagreeing with another person's point of view. I would also draw members' attention to Rule 10. Please read it. Any violation of that rule will be regarded as a serious offense.

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in 100% agreement with Tim. The option I would pick, if it were there, would be "I have not jailbroken because I'm delighted with my iPad as it is."

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why I don't jailbreak.

I went thru the "changing all the icons" phase with windows 3.1.

I went through the "changing and modifying the shell" with windows 95.

I'm happy using it just as it was designed.

I don't buy a car and put load pipes, shiny wheels or bumper stickers on it.

I don't need a tattoo to remind me of something or make me feel good.

My personal choice.

An unmodified iPad has more value to me.

Oh my god, I sound like my dad!

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
Somewhat more than 2 Million people have Jailbroken in the past week using jailbreakme.com - most of whom are, presumably iPad2 owners (since every other device could be Jailbroken before this). If you don't want to Jailbreak, that's fine, but you are missing out an some great tweaks :)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't believe the 2M JB number at all. This is an order of magnitude higher than what we see in our installed base.

-t

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't I "JB" my iPad2...

1. It's two weeks old ferpetesake. I don't even know how to use it yet and I should be hotrodding it?

2. So far I am happy with what I have, and look forward to learning it's ways and byways without adding complexity and, perhaps, some danger. I don't like all this talk about apps that thereafter refuse to work.

3. Without meaning to offend anyone, my explorations of this topic so far have only filled me with a sense of spuriousness.

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
I am not sure of why I would need to jb. I have had my ipad2 almost a month, and have taken 4 free workshops at the Apple stores in my area (about an hour drive in any direction). There doesn't seem to me anything I am missing out on yet.

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
I don't believe the 2M JB number at all. This is an order of magnitude higher than what we see in our installed base.

-t

That figure comes directly from the web stats of the site for the number of people that have used jailbreakme - and was a couple of days ago. Even allowing for duplicates it is probably a good approximation of the number of people that have used it now. [Edit] Ctual succesful usage:Cydia-72.png (iPad): 684,214
(Retina iPhone/iPod): 535,669
Cydia.png (other): 186,451
Total: 1,406,334
Google analytics aren't that accurate. [/Edit]

The 10-12 Million prior to athe release of jailbreakme was Saurik's conservative estimate based on the number of unique devices accessing Cydia (for which you have to be JailBroken).

It looks like Apple severely underestimate the number of Jailbreakers, but conversely, severly overestimates the number of Jailbreakers that are pirates as well, I know of very, very few Jailbreakers who actually pirate apps and those that do are roundly condemned. Most of my friends write apps and are as anti piracy as Apple (if not, more so).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts