What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's made the jump from 1st gen to 3rd gen?

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also skipped the second generation in favor of the third gen. I'm so used to my original iPad with the Apple case I feel Wierd holding the new one. I skipped the 2nd gen iPad believing the third would be much better. I was on the fence about returning the new iPad but really love the speed. I went from a 16GB/3G to a 32GB/4G and now no buffering when watching movies or TV.

jack1452

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far I find the sound not as good and the brightness to be an issue. And the wonderful retina display hasn't impressed me thus far. The Apple folks tell me to keep trying and there is nothing I can do about brightness.

What kind of issues are you having with the brightness? I posted about my issues below you in this thread.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm gonna miss the bezel of my iPad 1, but overall I'm much more satisfied with the new iPad. Its a significant change in speed, and it's great not having my apps crashing on me anymore because the new one has a decent amount of RAM.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Took an evening and a morning to get everything transferred from the 1 to the 3. Man... why doesn't apple make it easier for people to waste money on their new gadgets.....

I wonder why it took you this long. It took me less than 30 minutes before getting everything going after receiving it from the UPS delivery guy.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm gonna miss the bezel of my iPad 1, but overall I'm much more satisfied with the new iPad. Its a significant change in speed, and it's great not having my apps crashing on me anymore because the new one has a decent amount of RAM.

I felt the same way about the bezel at first. But after about a week, I felt the 1 was actually less comfortable to hold.

L

Lunar

Strange you should mention the iPad1 bezel, as I still think the edge/bezel on the iPad 1 looks engineered better, but that's probably because I'm rather oldschool, and inclined to over engineer something..lol. I'd have been quite happy retainng the shape of the ipad1 certainly around the edge anyway, as all the plugs pushed in better as they were flush to the edge, as long as I could have the insides updated of course and the same screen as the iPad3 obviously.

My wife uses my iPad1 now, but when handling my 3, I honestly don't notice that much difference in thickness or weight, but I'm sure the glass on the iPad 1 is thicker and therefore more robust, whereas the thin edge of the iPad2 & 3 dictate that the glass assy is very likely much thinner too, and I'm sure far less likely to survive any rough handling... ah well.. I suppose we have to move with the times...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweetchinmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From 0 to 3...it was either a NetBoot or tablet, I went With a tablet. Didn't make my mind up until the last minute, two days before iPad 3 went on sale.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange you should mention the iPad1 bezel, as I still think the edge/bezel on the iPad 1 looks engineered better, but that's probably because I'm rather oldschool, and inclined to over engineer something..lol. I'd have been quite happy retainng the shape of the ipad1 certainly around the edge anyway, as all the plugs pushed in better as they were flush to the edge, as long as I could have the insides updated of course and the same screen as the iPad3 obviously.

My wife uses my iPad1 now, but when handling my 3, I honestly don't notice that much difference in thickness or weight, but I'm sure the glass on the iPad 1 is thicker and therefore more robust, whereas the thin edge of the iPad2 & 3 dictate that the glass assy is very likely much thinner too, and I'm sure far less likely to survive any rough handling... ah well.. I suppose we have to move with the times...lol

I think you're onto something. The latest drop test on Youtube showed iPad 3 is the most fragile of the 3. The screen won't survive any drop higher than 3 feet.

You could be right about the glass thickness...

Fofer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

That's comparing AT&T's "4G" (aka HSPA+) to Verizon's 3G.

Now, do a comparison of AT&T's LTE to Verizon's LTE. At least here in SoCal, Verizon is 3 to 4 times faster than AT&T. I bought both and did speedtests in all of the areas I visit regularly. No contest, Verizon was WAY faster.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fofer said:

Now, do a comparison of AT&T's LTE to Verizon's LTE. At least here in SoCal, Verizon is 3 to 4 times faster than AT&T. I bought both and did speedtests in all of the areas I visit regularly. No contest, Verizon was WAY faster.

Location definitely can be a factor. When it really comes down to it however, keeping sight of what an iPad, iPhone or any rendition of phone or tablet that is capable of LTE are used for... Real world activities/operations would be hard pressed to benefit from the differences. I doubt either will maintain these speeds once LTE devices saturate the service. All I know is I am darn impressed with the 25mbps down/up speeds that I have captured. Even at its worst signal strength it's been in excess of 10mbps down/up.

Currently, no complaints..

ewo1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made the jump from no iPad to iPad 3 and I am really happy!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You missed the point of my post, which was in response to someone in the UK asking about U.S. speeds. I posted 3G speeds because they're more useful for comparison for someone in the UK, where 3G still is available only in limited places. There's no 4G in the UK, so I didn't bother posting U.S. LTE speed tests. If you want to post them, knock yourself out.

I'm not interested in championing any carrier. All I care about is using what works best for me, where my homes are, and where I travel most frequently.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And is it worth it?

It's either a week away in summer, or an iPad 3!

So from those of you that made the jump, how satisfied are you?

Yes I made the jump from iPad 1 to the new iPad. Very pleased I did. First time around it was a second hand iPad I bought - it was maybe about 5 months after the initial launch. Prior to that I have bought a Sony eReader as I am a big reader and was happy with it having at that point read dozens of books on it. There were two things that swayed me initially - the first were I am also a hige comic fan and although I could get and read comics on the Sony eReader I really wanted the experience of reading in colour. The second was that at the time I had the iTouch and was spending a fair amount of time watching films and TV shows. It was good enough at the time but I wanted to experience viewing on a reasonable sized screen.

Once I had bought the iPad there was no going back. Whether reading books, comics or watching films - not forgetting of course having my musc collection and the apps and games.

I held of moving to the iPad 2 as the 'main' feature being the 2 cameras were not a big interest. I was also more than happy with the size and weight and feel of the original iPad at the time and as I had it enclosed in an Otterbox Defender case it was way beyond the lightweight iPad 2. The whole 'slim' concept was never something that would ever have attacted me to upgrade.

When the details started to come out what may be included in the new upgrade - in particular the retina screen I was pretty convinced that this would be the first iPad I pre-ordered for day 1. Needless to say the delivery and experience since is fantastic. I have seen some of the early posts but have had none of the widely discussed issues (e.g. screen bleeding, dead pixels, too hot, battery life etc). Come to think of it and having checked since I had no such similar issues with my iPad 1.

At the stage it is as it is a prefectly designed and realised product. A real pleasure to use. For future wishes I guess my main thing would be for more storage memory - it was rumoured that a 128Gb version may be launched - but also my music collection is fairly static of late - I have lots of reading on board still to work through so its mainly for films where here I can keep a good list of content for a good 2 weeks of viewing to be going on with and then swap out every 2 weeks so even that is not really causing any real hangups just now. I am also starting to explore HD content for TV and films - making great use of the new screen - the results are stunning. I will be in the process soon of converting my Blu Ray content for the new iPad consumption.

Squider Dragon

samd724

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made the switch from 1st gen to the 3rd. I am loving the display and speed of the new iPad. The size and weight are also a welcomed upgrade. All in all I am very satisfied with my new iPad.

Most reactions