What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Future Direction? Android or Apple?

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you can look at Android as one OS, or as a dozen hardware vendors, but from the standpoint of Apple's bottom line, if they end up like they are in smartphones (about 25% market share), it really doesn't matter what the makeup of the other 75% is.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
kierandill said:
Well, you can look at Android as one OS, or as a dozen hardware vendors, but from the standpoint of Apple's bottom line, if they end up like they are in smartphones (about 25% market share), it really doesn't matter what the makeup of the other 75% is.

25% market share from a single vendor, that's quite an edge on the market. Apple, Samsung or HP, does not matter... That why I think the android market share should not be considered but vendor market share tells the whole truth about the dominance.

Thinking about it, if each vendor had it's own OS for their device, we would not talk about this the same way. Google was smart when releasing Android for everybody to use, as it became obvious that vendors would turn to an available "free" OS instead of developing their own. And let's remember that Android exists because Linux was available and free. So market share could also be counted as Linux shares vs IOS vs Windows... But I prefer the vendor point of view as it gives a good hint about the product value from the vendor.

VicoPad addict!

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I'm not sure if I would get an iPhone, I'm positive I don't want an android tablet. I like using iTunes to back up my apps, the selection of apps blows android away and they will never catch up. The reason I say that is that people who use android are about as tight as it comes with giving up a few dollars for an app.

Angry Birds for example is free on android but it does come with ads. There are apps to block the ads. Eventually people will get wise to this and not want to pay for ads that won't be seen.

I love the iPad. I'll never got an android pad. But on the other hand I love my android phone. Unless iPhone comes with navigation then I'm not interested.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
hookbill said:
While I'm not sure if I would get an iPhone, I'm positive I don't want an android tablet. I like using iTunes to back up my apps, the selection of apps blows android away and they will never catch up. The reason I say that is that people who use android are about as tight as it comes with giving up a few dollars for an app.

Angry Birds for example is free on android but it does come with ads. There are apps to block the ads. Eventually people will get wise to this and not want to pay for ads that won't be seen.

I love the iPad. I'll never got an android pad. But on the other hand I love my android phone. Unless iPhone comes with navigation then I'm not interested.

Out of curiosity, why do you consider the iPhone not providing navigation? I use it all the time (map quest)

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions

Latest posts