What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which bluetooth GPS?

zinneken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to add GPS to mu wifi ipad mini. Which (budget friendly) gps bloetooth devices do you all use?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have used the Dual XGPS-150. It works via a bluetooth connection to your iPad. This lets you put the 150 on your dash or someplace with an excellent view of the sky. Your wifi iPad can then use the location info with Navigation software like Navigon or MotionX Drive, and others.

OP
Z

zinneken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks great, but is out of my budget.

I wonder, will any bluetooth gps will work with the iPad, or does it need drivers or specific software?

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not all external GPS BT devices are approved by Apple. No special software or drivers needed. here is one of them GNS 5870 MFI GPS Bluetooth Receiver for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessoriesnd here is the other one http://bad-elf.com/products/

H
ope this helps.

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will NON-approved GPS work? I wonder if an old Android phone w/GPS and Bluetooth would work?

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will NON-approved GPS work? I wonder if an old Android phone w/GPS and Bluetooth would work?
I had a TomTom Bluetooth GPS device, and it will not work. Reason is Apple has changed the Bluetooth GPS protocol and you need a device that can understand this new protocol. This article will help, and also click on learn more in the article for a very good device and works with standard protocol and as well as Apple protocol which I use now. here New Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Apple Devices and Laptops

tekki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gpsx150 works like a charm, download the app, turn on Bluetooth, pair the receiver with Bluetooth, then open the app and let it connect to the satellites and then go, it's great.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. I have just received the dual xgps150a to use with my ipad mini. It works beautifully. As has been mentioned, switch it to iPhone/ ipad compatibility, switch the power on. Switch ipad on ad turn on bt , wait for few seconds and it pairs automatically. That's it. Now you can use any navigation (I am using copilot and native maps) or download their app for testing. You can also use the device with android or PC. Just slide the switch on the gps device. I am using it inside my house, in the middle of the house, with 6 meters from the nearest window and I already have 12 satellites worth every penny.

Last edited:

Most reactions