What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the best way to clean a screen?

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Hi guys,
I have some screen protectors on the way from eBay but before I apply the protector to my screen I want to give it a really good clean. Now, I may not be the sharpest tool in the tool-box but I'm guessing that a good scrub with a kitchen scourer is NOT the way to go.
So what is the best stuff to use?
I am in the UK so things may be named differently from where you are.
One guy said that he uses vinegar to clean the screen of his laptop but I don't fancy risking that unless it is also backed by iPad users.

Also, a second, unrelated problem.
The picture that you see on the left is a genuine picture of my iPad in a white leather case. It is brilliant because there are various ways that it can be made to stand up and, when closed, the screen is protected. The only improvement would be some kind of screen protector that covered the screen when the case was open but allowed screen taps and also didn't interfere with reading the screen or watching movies.
Anyway, I digress. Sorry about that.
I bought myself a Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad and, when not actually being used, this keyboard clips over the iPad 2's screen to protect it and the back of the keyboard is very similar in feel and colour to the back of the iPad.
The big problem is that it no longer fits in the white leather case. It's just to thick.
So what I need is a case that will protect the back of the iPad and keyboard to stop them from getting scratched that is just slightly thicker than the one in use now. One with an over the shoulder strap would be good.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve

joeswife5807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually just use a small pad that has ordinary rubbing alcohol on it and then dry it thoroughly with a soft hand towel or wash cloth. I would recommend the alcohol before applying your screen protector. I also have special screen cleaning cloth ( you can get them in any electronics or computer goods store) for everyday that is great for taking off finger prints and such. Hope this helps.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Thanks for the warning and the link to how to do it properly, kaykaykay
I actually cleaned my screen last night using a strip of very soft, lint free material that my wife had been given by her optician to clean her glasses. I figured that if this cloth was good enough for her glasses it was good enough for my iPad. It totally removed every fingerprint and greasy mark on the screen. All I need now is for the protective cover to turn up.
Cheers all,
Steve

dave_bass5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I normally use a microfibre cloth, the same one i use for my camera lenses.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't actually use rubbing alcohol on an iPad?? I would never consider doing this, I would think it would destroy your screen! Yikes!

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ho hum... Cut about a five inch square from an old cotton tee shirt. Works great! Make sure to flap the cloth a few times and then slap the sceen a few times to assure there are no scratchy particles residing anywhere before gently wiping. Actually, notice that the slapping event removes many finger prints.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you enlighten me as to how slapping the iPad removes finger prints.

The slap is using the cloth, which, in effect, is a light wipe. Done just in case there's a particle that could scratch the screen upon wiping. Would never 'regular' slap my baby! The iPad 2 screen cleans quite easily with light swipes. The more stubborn prints or spots respond well after breathing on them to put a little moisture there and quickly wiping before the moisture evaporates.

Most reactions

Latest posts