What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's it worth?

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought a new Windows 8 tablet and have an ipad 2 I need to sell.

It is a mint shape black 64 gig WiFi/3g ATT model.

I have a kensington case with bluetooth KB, leather smart cover and snap-on shell case.

I have an airstash setup and the digital card reader also.

What is a reasonable price to sell this stuff for??

Last edited:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Craigslist, eBay, Amazon...there are many options. Though, IMNSHO, i would be looking to sell the W8 failure, not the iPad. :) as for reasonable price, it's up to you how much you think it's worth really.

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, I should have expected that response I guess......

I do have one question however, my ipad is jailbroken and has a ton of apps/games etc in it.

Would I need to factory reset the thing before selling it, or can I leave it intact and just delete my email account??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are two ways you can go about getting that jail broken iPad sold without your personal info on it - one is easy, one is more difficult.

The easy way is to remove the jail break on that iPad by putting the latest iOS on it (6.0.1 at this time). You can connect it to iTunes, select "Restore" and let iTunes do it's magic. Then, when prompted by iTunes, you elect to "set up as new" (versus restore from backup). When it's all said and done, you'll have an iPad in a like-new condition as if it came right from the store. All your data and info will have been wiped with the upgrade.

That's the easy way. And, probably the best - unless one of the attractions you have for that iPad (to buyers) is that it's jail broken. Then, you don't want to remove the jail break - but you do want to remove all your data AND apps. Apple's EULA does not allow you to transfer apps, nor can you sell them or include them as part of the deal. Copyright restrictions say the only thing you can do is remove all non-default apps.

One thing, however - if you're selling it jail broken, do not select ANY of the Reset categories in the Settings app. That will muck up the jail break and you'll have to restore it to stock, thus losing the jail break.

So, to get the iPad ready for sale, remove all the apps (free ones, too), songs, movies, etc. you've put on it (iTunes will help here). Delete all your e-mail accounts. Essentially, wipe yourself and all your personal info from the iPad - everything you can think of. Oh, and sign out of iTunes, the App Store, iCloud. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but ypur main goal is to put everything back as if it were new (but still jail broken).

This applies to Cydia, also. You'll want to remove all the tweaks you've put on it. Essentially, leave the buyer with nothing but the Cydia app.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou Marilyn,

That is helpful info.

I don't think I should remove the jailbreak although I'm not really sure on that.

I did know how to do the IOS update, but I'm thinking someone might value the jailbreak. I may be totally wrong on that however (i've never been wrong before, but there's always a first time) :) :)

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're going to sell it online, make sure to incorporate the SHSH blobs that's available for the device, because like the 4S, many buyers are looking to jailbreak the device, so if your device is on 5.1.1 or on iOS 4, and you have the golden iOS blobs, they'll pitch in that extra 10-20 dollars or more. I would say if it's in mint and all with the accessories, I would say about 500-550.

Hel22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought mine off amazon for a great price-460 dollars. Like new! But I didnt know that it had ios 6 on and now im upset that I can't JB it! so If it's JB, you could try to sell it for min 500 Dollars!
Good luck!

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the replies, that info is helpful for me to decide what to do.

I do think having it jailbroken might make it a little more appealing to some buyers.

Last edited:

acostapimps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hel22 said:
I bought mine off amazon for a great price-460 dollars. Like new! But I didnt know that it had ios 6 on and now im upset that I can't JB it! so If it's JB, you could try to sell it for min 500 Dollars!
Good luck!

You should of ask the seller through amazon email message if it was jailbroken before committing to buy, but not a lot of people are selling it jailbroken anyways.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're putting it up in a listing, just say that you can jailbreak the device for the buyer. Or if they prefer a clean device, they can have it in their hands that way too.

Hel22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know, usually I ask, don't know why I didn't that time but I'm thinking for what I paid it was worth it.. iPad is amazing even without the jb... But I miss my sbsettings!!!

joshua1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know selling ipad is a good idea) this tablet is advertised as something unbelievable, although it's not worth such admiration and price. I was thinking about buying it, but then I looked through some reviews, and found out that many people complained about it. Plus, my friend's got one, and pictures taken with the ipad are TERRIBLE!

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
joshua1 said:
You know selling ipad is a good idea) this tablet is advertised as something unbelievable, although it's not worth such admiration and price. I was thinking about buying it, but then I looked through some reviews, and found out that many people complained about it. Plus, my friend's got one, and pictures taken with the ipad are TERRIBLE!

The iPad with retina display takes great pictures. The iPad 2, not so much. If your friend has a 2, it's no wonder. Also, do you really think it's smart to come on an iPad forum just to bash it? Didn't think so. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts