What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What multimedia player(s) can play most formats and access a Windows share directly

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just like the title says... I'm looking for some decent media player that can play any audio/video format and access a Windows shared folder directly (to play stuff from there). Is there something like that available at all?

I have FileBrowser to access desktop files. It works great for "office" documents, as well as for supported multimedia formats. For unsupported media formats, I can send it to another media player from there, but it takes quite a while to actually copy the file (I suppose it would be faster if the player just accessed the share directly). I also have VLC, but it tells me to copy files to iPad. CinexPlayer plays a lot of video formats, but I also have to "add" files to it.

I'm looking for a quick and efficient way to read/play audio/video files stored on a desktop computer (or an external drive attached to it, or a CD/DVD media in it). I don't want to "import" or "add" (or even have to convert) the files. A hopeless case?

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks. :thumbs:
Now if only I could find a way to make Buzz player read the music pushed locally by SugarSync... ;)

Beherith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VM Player - can access not only windows shares, but also ftp and upnp

Most reactions

Latest posts