What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is xcode?

Ladibug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm reading through as many of these as I can to learn more about my iPad. I don't know what Xcode is or what it's used for. Sorry if this is a well known fact. I know basic Mac language :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xcode is a suite of tools, developed by Apple, for developing software for Mac OS X and iOS. Xcode 4, the latest major version, is available on the Mac App Store for $4.99, and on the Apple Developer Connection website for free to registered developers (though membership costs $99 per year). Because version 4 is the first paid version, Xcode version 3 is still available for free download from the Apple Developer Connection website. Mac OS X install DVDs typically include a copy of Xcode, as well.

The main application of the suite is the integrated development environment (IDE), also named Xcode. The Xcode suite also includes most of Apple's developer documentation, and Interface Builder, an application used to construct graphical user interfaces.
The Xcode suite includes a modified version of free software GNU Compiler Collection (GCC, apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 as well as apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1, with the former being the default), and supports C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java, AppleScript, Python and Ruby source code with a variety of programming models, including but not limited to Cocoa, Carbon, and Java. Third parties have added support for GNU Pascal, Free Pascal, Ada, C#, Perl, Haskell, and D. The Xcode suite uses the GNU Debugger as the back-end for its debugger.

From Wikipedia

OP
L

Ladibug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So basically if you want to write programs and such.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That has always been what I understood. There are some elements that allow you to go into your existing programming and make changes, but it requires a good deal of knowledge. I sometimes see instructions posted that give detailed instructions on how to do a few basic tricks that some people desire, but I am not one to go there.

Most reactions

Latest posts