What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this part, for an Ipad Air?

pati610

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

could somebody please help me out. My Ipad Air broke, i had to disassemble it, and although I followed good guidance on the net, things went wrong when I was putting it together again.

This is the part that I just can't figure out where it's supposed to fit in, and I can't find it in any of the guides either (Fixit, YouTube etc):

f_1175103.jpg

On the net, it is listed as several different things, but that's on eBay and such. A more credible source of information labels it as an "Interconnect PCB" here:
http://www.upgrademag.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Apple-iPad-Air_Exploded-annotated.jpg

The print on the back says "821-1901-A" and "C 4313".

Any help would be much appreciated.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

could somebody please help me out. My Ipad Air broke, i had to disassemble it, and although I followed good guidance on the net, things went wrong when I was putting it together again.

This is the part that I just can't figure out where it's supposed to fit in, and I can't find it in any of the guides either (Fixit, YouTube etc):

f_1175103.jpg

On the net, it is listed as several different things, but that's on eBay and such. A more credible source of information labels it as an "Interconnect PCB" here:
http://www.upgrademag.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Apple-iPad-Air_Exploded-annotated.jpg

The print on the back says "821-1901-A" and "C 4313".

Any help would be much appreciated.
The part fits between the two antennas behind the FaceTime camera module.
IMG_2569.JPG
IMG_2571.JPG

OP
pati610

pati610

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan, thank you so much - you made my day! Will install it in the right spot ASAP. That is why I couldn't find the necessary information from the guides, they were wifi only. And as we all know, it's much easier to disassemble than to put it all back together :)

Regards,
Patrick

OP
pati610

pati610

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try ifixit.com. There are guides and teardowns there , plus a q&a section that may provide some info.
Thank you for your suggestion, Brian. I did however browse that site already, but I couldn't find any guides for iPads with cellular + wifi. It might still have been there, but the guides I followed just stated that "if you have a cellular iPad, things might look a bit different" or something similarly vague and unspecified.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan, thank you so much - you made my day! Will install it in the right spot ASAP. That is why I couldn't find the necessary information from the guides, they were wifi only. And as we all know, it's much easier to disassemble than to put it all back together :)

Regards,
Patrick
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.
I actually found the photo I used near the end of the iFixit teardown of the iPad Air.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I actually found the photo I used near the end of the iFixit tear down of the iPad Air.

Hey Scifan - great persistence on searching iFixit - our OP listed that as a site of investigation but did not look as carefully, I suspect - Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Scifan - great persistence on searching iFixit - our OP listed that as a site of investigation but did not look as carefully, I suspect - Dave :)
The photo showing the part is in part 22 of the teardown. I also have the iFixit app on my iPad and iphone. It has every teardown and tutorial in the iFixit library. Unfortunately it was removed from the App Store and is no longer available.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I actually found the photo I used near the end of the iFixit teardown of the iPad Air.

Good eye. I went through the site myself, but missed that. Being fair to myself, its not obvious, which makes your spotting it even more impressive.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good eye. I went through the site myself, but missed that. Being fair to myself, its not obvious, which makes your spotting it even more impressive.
What gave me the clue as to where to look for the part was the link in the OP's post, which showed an exploded diagram of the iPad Air, with the part labelled as Interconnect PCB, as mentioned in his post. This showed me approximately where the part would be located in the assembled iPad. I then looked closely through the photos in the iFixit teardown until I found exactly where the OP's part belonged.

OP
pati610

pati610

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was truly investigative work there, scifan! I'm as impressed as twerppoet. Even when I saw your posted pics (from the guide I indeed had browsed through earlier) I was like "wait, where is it? Aah... there!" It's kind of hidden from plain sight. The black rectangle is the clue :)

Most reactions

Latest posts