What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is taking up my iPad's memory?

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad is is short on memory, it seems, even though all I have stored on it are a few photos and some very scares 1-minute videos. Piccy attached of folder properties.

iPad_Storage.png
Why am I afflicted with Apple Alzheimer's?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a list of exactly what's on your iPad? How many apps do you have on the iPad? You should be able to store thousands of photos on the iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My IPad is is short on memory, it seems, even though all I have stored on it are a few photos and some very scares 1-minute videos. Piccy attached of folder properties.

View attachment 72072

Hello - first, you are using the wrong terminology, i.e. 'memory' refers to your RAM, e.g. I have 2 GB RAM in my iPad Air 2 - your question concerns 'storage' which is the capacity of your solid state 'drive', comparable to a SSD in a laptop computer - I own a 64 GB iDevice.

Second, as already stated by Scifan..., we need to know 'what' is leaving you w/ little storage - this can be decided in two ways (see this Apple Support Article): 1) If you have iTunes on your computer, cable your iPad & click the symbol in the left upper corner of iTunes - a bar graft should be seen at the bottom (see my first image below of my iPad in iTunes) - what is using capacity is shown; sometimes, the nebulous 'Other' category can take up an inordinate amount of storage, so this is what you need to tell us; or 2) On the iPad, go into Settings -> General -> Storage & iCloud Usage -> Storage -> Manage Storage; a listing of your apps will appear in the right column - see my second image of my iPad - tell us what is in those top dozen or so listings - even better if you know how to post a similar pic?

Once we understand what is using up your storage, then much more specific comments can be offered. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 12.05.04 PM.png
IMG_6118.PNG

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
Consider something larger than a 16 gb for your future purchase. Pay extra for double the space at least. In this day and age, no one should be lower than 64 gb .. and maybe 32 gb if you're unemployed or something.

I know it's more costly, but 16 gb is for children.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Consider something larger than a 16 gb for your future purchase. Pay extra for double the space at least. In this day and age, no one should be lower than 64 gb .. and maybe 32 gb if you're unemployed or something.

Certainly agree that Apple should retire these 16 GB iDevices - only about 12 GB are useable (once the iOS is installed and other 'system' files are added) - my iPad Air 2 has nearly 14 GB of music, so storage can easily disappear.

BUT, our OP has not returned in nearly a week, so answers in my post above may never be known? Dave :)

Last edited:

Douglas_Barr

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts