What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does closing the smart cover really do?

pmstirling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought closing the smartcover put my iPad to sleep. But I don't think it does. I noticed that when I turn on my wifi hotspot while the smartcover is closed, the iPad still joins the network. I think it also checks for email, app updates etc.

So it seems that all closing the cover does is turn off the display. Is there a way to really put it to sleep?
patrick

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought closing the smartcover put my iPad to sleep. But I don't think it does. I noticed that when I turn on my wifi hotspot while the smartcover is closed, the iPad still joins the network. I think it also checks for email, app updates etc.

So it seems that all closing the cover does is turn off the display. Is there a way to really put it to sleep?
patrick

The iPad does the things you mentioned while it is asleep unless you turn off the WiFi or set your e-mail settings to not check for mail. So, I'm sure the cover does put it to sleep.

Hope this clarifies/reassures.

Marilyn

OP
P

pmstirling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if apps are still running I would say that the iPad is not asleep!

I would define "asleep" as a low power consumption state where apps are suspended and as much hardware as possible is shut down. The wifi and 3G radios are not low power!
Patrick

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if apps are still running I would say that the iPad is not asleep!

I would define "asleep" as a low power consumption state where apps are suspended and as much hardware as possible is shut down. The wifi and 3G radios are not low power!
Patrick

That's what ipad does. When you put the device to sleep, the hardware enters in low power state (the CPU is clocked down for instance). Wifi and 3G (BT too) power consumption is data transfer related.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, simple question.
When the ipad is asleep - ie smart cover closed, screen off, can it be set to turn wifi off?
In other words, despite the email app checking every 30 minutes, say, is there a setting that means the iPad with screen off, turns off wifi thereby over-riding the email app checking for mail.
I'd like the iPad to be fully asleep (not off) while the screen is off, regardless of the settings of any other app.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe on a jailbroken device there is some tweak that allows you to mess with the wifi/data policies. Afaik there is no way to do this on a regular iDevice. You have to either to manually shut down wifi/data through settings, enable airplane mode or power off the device.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several layers of battery management. Certain functions are able to continue after an event tell the iPad that it is not being actively used. If you close the cover and are using the music app, it will still play. If allowed, you will still receive notifications. Apple gives programmers certain conditions where the apps will continue to run in the background, and there are ways to control these actions.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the iPad the screen is usually the biggest user of energy...and this is generally true on all tablets. Thus, sleep means simple that the screen is off. The iPad is good a going into a low power state then.

The intended use is that the device is at the ready all the time, so it doesn't do a "deep sleep" that shuts down everything...because if it did then things like alarms & notifications wouldn't work. Mine will be in sleep mode by yet will sound a notication if there is a severe thunderstorm warning or a tornado warning. And frankly, I prefer that I can just grab it and have it on without any extended wake up period. I think this is what its designers intended. It seems most tablets work this way too.

Most reactions