What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think you'll use your iPad for?

christos01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey guys i am new to this forum....

so i been thinking of bying an ipad and i wanted a person that already got it to help me by answering me some questions....

pls reply to this msg cause i want to make up my mind if i really want it or not,,,,

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently, I have a 15" Mac Book Pro that I tether to my Droid :). It works well but I'm hoping to use the iPad instead of the MBP. Additionally, my wife plays a lot of bridge on Yahoo so this will fill that time while traveling. E books is are a high priority.

Mike

wilsonhorrell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mobile Office

Small service business owner. I am usually in a pickup truck and use the A-frame accessory to place on steering wheel when parked. I have a lot of small "fires" to put out, so I need to be ready to move but often have a lot of time to "Park".
Hoping to find efficient ways to be productive and efficient without the luxury of an office setting (married with 2 young children can be distracting for ALL parties).

Social Media Marketing "on the fly"
Want to find way to invoice during workday, as we invoice around 30 customers per day, but small $$ amounts. Can be monotonous and can fall behind quickly.
Want to eliminate working all day....then coming home to work all night. FAMILYFIRST when possible.

Wilson

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm buying an iPad at the end of this month and I've recently found out some amazing apps on the iPad - one of them being Gusto (a Programming/Web development editor + FTP client in one) and using it for certain work that can be done on the iPad using Pages, surfing the Web, chatting to friends and will be able to use the iPad for going on IRC. I can see the iPad replacing a lot of what I do frequently on the computer because of some of the wide variety of apps available on the iPad App Store because of its large screen. Of course, the Gusto app won't replace heavy projects that require a lot of typing (and other stuff on a computer - after all, iPad is something in between a computer and a smartphone), but for doing small work or updating existing websites / projects / etc - it would come in handy and be fun at the same time. The only downside to the iPad is that it doesn't have a built-in camera which would of come in handy for chatting to friends...shame Apple didn't include one built-in as it would be a considerate replacement to a netbook - of course, it's a lot different to a netbook, but it would replace a lot of common things for a netbook. Surfing the web, apps, chatting, games, etc. The other thing is the lack of Flash - there's some Flash game online that I play frequently and it would work on the iPad if it had Flash, but obviously there's no Flash on the iPad. And I don't think the developer would make a version for the iPad or at least, an HTML5 friendly version which would work in Safari.

Elvenstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am part of a team in my school to explore the use of iPad in education. Presently, I am using the iPad to replace bringing the laptop to the class. The iPad is definitely a boost to education. Light weight, long battery life, instant startup, access to web-based applications (minus Flash), Word, Excel, PowerPoint abilities and tons of Apps for every occasion.
Got the ok for doing something radical in the classroom. :)

womp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We used the iPad on a recent cruise to store photos from our cameras. We could have uploaded them to the cloud, but Internet time was expensive. The iPad really is a good photo viewing device. We saw several of them being used for this in the common areas of the ship.

I've started using it as an e-reader. After trying a few sample books, and a free version of Huckleberry Finn from Project Gutenberg, I paid for an escapist fiction, best seller (American Assassin by Vince Flynn). While absorbed in reading it, I realized that I could read in total darkness because of the back-lighting, turn pages easily and hold or prop the iPad in multiple positions, adjust the text size, bookmark automatically and look up questionable words on the spot. Also, this was a $20 book that cost $13 on the iPad. Lastly, my wife and I have something of a hoarder disorder when it comes to acquiring books. We've run out of room to store them. The iPad will allow us to take our library to the next level. :D Wait, is that a good thing?

spgary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad mainly for movies, reading, browsing and yes it has made me more regular on the treadmill ;)

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
"get caught?" what kind of school do you go to anyway?

Any school that frowns on computer usage needs to wake up and see the sun!

Honestly, I think I will use it mainly as an eBook reader and also as a mobile internet tablet when you just don't feel like getting out the whole laptop... ie, on the couch.

Second to that, on plane flights as a movie platform it will be nice as the screen size is great and the battery life will beat even my 17" Macbook Pro.

All in all, there are a few neat uses for it but mainly those 3 for me.

What about you?

Well i would use it to bring it to school.(when i get bored). But the ipad is pretty big so ill get caught to easy.

Besides that ill be using it on my bed laying down,playing some game the il get addicted to. Probably use it to check out Youtube,Ipadforums.net:), and research. My mom likes to take pics so ill make a cool video on it(slide show) and give it to her for a present.

v1corumantir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it can be use as my second mobile computer to see and check my email, see my facebook instead my Blackberry and my Vaio laptop

Machinecolxbox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Could quite easily seeing it becoming part of my morning routine swapping my newspaper for a electronic version, coupled with a nice coffee!!!

Playing games, reading books, writing emails, facebook/social networking, music and video, travelling, viewing photos, as more and more apps become available for editing hopefully edit, and id love to get into writing or blog writing so would try and use the pad for that!

(and to follow the best football team on earth Liverpool FC) ;)

Jax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought mine about a month ago for a variety of reasons. Mainly to have net access while traveling, and EBooks. Works good when there is signal, lot of areas that has none. But for the most part, pretty happy with it. Probably the most useful part for traveling is the map. Better than any map I have ever had. Almost always shows every street and trail, how to get there, and what you want to find when you get there. All on one map page that goes from nation size to park size with one simple move. And that is all on map. Then there is Google that give you just about any info you need. If in the western plains, where 3g is minimal, Signal is as close as your nearest McDonalds.

GadgetFreak118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, love the forum peeps! :ipad-front::)
I love my ipad but mines a bit different from yours!!!!!!!! Mines a dummy model - hahahahahah! :D I came across a great dummy ipad that looks just like the real thing, you can even press the button at the bottom and the back is silver with the real apple logo!
I got it from pricethriller.com and it's so cool weighs the same, looks like it's on and I can fool all my friends. Maybe some1 will get me the real thing this xmas.......I love gadgets wooooo!

Most reactions

Latest posts