What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think you'll use your iPad for?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine for, ipf of course, movies, music, games for the most part, but also for books.

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The answer depends on whether you require Internet access wherever you take your ipad. 3G is not worth the price. WiFi is just as fast, if not faster. I would suggest going with a MiFi device instead. MiFi units are pocket-size mobile hot spots that convert cellular data signals into a small Wi-Fi bubble good for allowing up to five separate Wi-Fi-enabled devices to connect. Where the Wi-Fi models cost $499, $599 or $699, depending on how much storage you get, 16GB, 32GB or 64GB, respectively, the iPad 3G starts at $629 and jumps up in $100 increments from there. The top-of-the-line model goes for $829. The question iPad buyers have to consider is simple: Is the extra $130 worth it?

If your wifi isn't a LOT faster than 3G, you must be using ClearWire...

The question I asked myself was did I want to "save" $130, only to spend ~$100 for a GPS to hang off the bottom of the iPad and another ~$150 for a mifi or equivalent, and have yet another separate item? Any way I looked at it, if I ever wanted either GPS or 3G my "savings" quickly went into the red.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
l1tp1zt0lz said:
The answer depends on whether you require Internet access wherever you take your ipad. 3G is not worth the price. WiFi is just as fast, if not faster. I would suggest going with a MiFi device instead. MiFi units are pocket-size mobile hot spots that convert cellular data signals into a small Wi-Fi bubble good for allowing up to five separate Wi-Fi-enabled devices to connect. Where the Wi-Fi models cost $499, $599 or $699, depending on how much storage you get, 16GB, 32GB or 64GB, respectively, the iPad 3G starts at $629 and jumps up in $100 increments from there. The top-of-the-line model goes for $829. The question iPad buyers have to consider is simple: Is the extra $130 worth it?

I agree, I have the mifi by Verizon and it's great, especially since I can connect up to 5 devices. I even managed to get a little discount on the price, and it's unlimited.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree I have a mifi by verizon and I love it ,using it with my iPad as well as net books, it's well worth the money.

How do you hook your MiFi up to your iPad? The one I have requires a USB port, something that os sorely lacking on the iPad.

Reaction score
jollywa said:
How do you hook your MiFi up to your iPad? The one I have requires a USB port, something that os sorely lacking on the iPad.

A Mifi usually creates a wireless network, which you can join from the iPad. The USB port shouldn't be used for more than charging, if it really only shares the 3G via USB, it can't be used with an iPad.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jollywa said:

You don't have to plug it in, it's a small box. It connects wirelessly. You just have to put a code in.

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just enter my information through settings on my iPad and I am all set, there is nothing to attach to the iPad itself.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jollywa said:

You don't have to plug it in, it's a small box. It connects wirelessly. You just have to put a code in.

I figured it out on my owm. What I have is not a MiFi, it is an internet stick, which is what Rogers had before the MiFi. While the Internet stick has saved me a fortune in hotel internet connections and has allowed me to work in remote siteswhere there was no internet cnnection, I kinda wish I had the real MiFi so I could also use my iPad in those places. Maybe eventually.....

shoveit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the best way of viewing movies? I've heard someone using an sd card and using an sd adapter thing you can plug in, but I'm new to this. Sooooo how do I get the movies on here, I have a 64gb iPad 2. ^__________^

Chalicemedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.chalicemedia.com
Movies on iPad

What's the best way of viewing movies? I've heard someone using an sd card and using an sd adapter thing you can plug in, but I'm new to this. Sooooo how do I get the movies on here, I have a 64gb iPad 2. ^__________^

The easiest way to get legal movies on your iPad is using the video component of iTunes sync. You can sync a movie from an folder on your PC. I do this with digital copies from Blu-ray discs as well as movies purchased or rented from iTunes.

The easiest way to view movies over wifi is probably the Netfix app. I use this quite frequently as well.

Chalicemedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.chalicemedia.com
If your wifi isn't a LOT faster than 3G, you must be using ClearWire...

The question I asked myself was did I want to "save" $130, only to spend ~$100 for a GPS to hang off the bottom of the iPad and another ~$150 for a mifi or equivalent, and have yet another separate item? Any way I looked at it, if I ever wanted either GPS or 3G my "savings" quickly went into the red.

The $130 is a cheap insurance policy when you don't have to pay ongoing monthly fees for 3G. I like being able to get a 250MB or 2GB chunk when I need it, and not having to sweat it when I don't.

I do presentations, and many hotels charge $100/day for internet connections inside conference rooms, so the chunk of 3G is pretty cheap at $15 or $25 for the total data I'll need for a conference.

bobbcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't have mine yet (it's in the mail) but plan to read articles on the web, read ebooks, play games; that's about it. I have my iPhone for iheart radio, music, and yes, phone calls.

Most reactions

Latest posts