What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What cable to connect my iPAD to my vehicle?

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a 2010 Subaru Outback, which has an iPOD (and other mobile units) connection jack in the center console in order to play audio books thru the FM radio.

What type cable do I need to connect the iPAD to the jack in the vehicle console? I'm guessing a cable with 3.5mm plugs on both ends, but do I need any 'special' type cable?

Thanks

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should be the same audio cable you use for your iPod, just plug it into the headphone jack of the iPad and it should work.

If you're talking about power cable, then you'll probably have to get one made for the iPad that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

OP
B

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is just the audio (not charging) cable. Will any cable with jacks on both ends work (don't own an iPOD - thus no iPOD cable). I'll need to buy something to use. Will something generic from Walmart work? I don't need to buy any Apple branded cable do I?

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A cable is a cable, in my professional opinion.

As long as it has the same stereo plug on each end that a normal set of headphones/earbuds has, it should work.

The headphone jack of the iPad may feel like the plug is too big, but it's just a tight fit. Do be careful though.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep any will do make sure it's not the cheapest though... I have an aux Jack in my MINI and some of the cheap cables don't work with my devices.... I plug in my Garmin, Blackberry, Ipod, etc. All with same cable.

lprmcnit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ditto what has been said..I got a 3.5mm connector cable at Walmart and it worked great...but you do have to push it in the device, not too hard, but harder than you think you would...

Most reactions

Latest posts