What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are we calling the New iPad?

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's the iPad 9 if you include all the others except the mIni's. If you (logically) exclude the two Pro models that makes it the iPad 7. Of course if you exclude the two Airs then it's the iPad 5! If you include the mini's as well as all the others that would be unlucky 13 wouldn't it?! I think I prefer iPad5 ... Does my maths even add up?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple would probably prefer we call it the iPad then specify the year it was released (2017), and the month of season if there is still any confusion. This is what they've been doing with the MacBook and MacBook Pro's, since about forever.

They tried this with the iPad 3, calling it just the new iPad when released. It didn't take. This time with the confusion of Air, Pro modles all they've got a better chance of making it stick.

So, it would be the 2017 9.7" iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The trouble with "Lite" is that it often applies to a free version, with fewer than the optimum functions, or low calorie!

OK Jupiter - since this is all in jest (unless Apple execs read our forum - ;)) - let's use Lyte?

iPad retro?

Brian - you're right - not much of an advance from my Air 2 - how about iPad Relic? :) Dave

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK Jupiter - since this is all in jest (unless Apple execs read our forum - ;)) - let's use Lyte?
Oh Dave! I know this is only a bit of fun, but you will know that 'lyte' means something that can be broken down! Sorry to be pedantic.

Brian - you're right - not much of an advance from my Air 2 - how about iPad Relic? :) Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't use it as suffix, it means something completely different:

Possesing of supernatural powers. Noticable above average intelligence, strength, godlike powers, and large amounts of awesomeness. Originally seen in the old testament, derived from Latin.
(Urbandictionary)

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll go with Twerpoet and say Ipad 2017. I like the Macbook Pro designations--mine is 2015 (mid LOL) so I know exactly what is meant when someone says 2015--without going into all the specs. But also agree it all gets confusing--I find I have to say Ipad Pro 12.9 to differentiate--not sure when the Ipad Pro 12.9 II comes out LOL. Maybe again a year designation and perhaps + like our phones.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wasn't really suggesting a preference; just what I think Apple has in mind. Every since the iPad 3 they've been trying to move the iPad away from the perception that it's like an iPhone and towards the idea that it's something that can replace a laptop for some people. Dumping the number designatiors so that the naming is more MacBook(ish) is one of those moves.

Apple lost the naming battle with the iPad 3. Now they are trying again. With the new Pro models they've got a new, perhaps better argument. Also, as Wilster pointed out, there is no obvious straight line choice for consumers to latch onto as they did with the iPad 3.

Of course, things are a lot less confusing when the community and Apple agree on the name of their products, so I guess I'm not entirely neutral.

Most reactions