What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the "must buy accessories" for Ipad 2

Timi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to Ipad and would be buying Ipad 2. I'll be using it mainly for reading, surfing, learning languages & movies; what accessories should i get with it?

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Case cover of some type. That being said it's the hardest most personal thing you will purchase. Having used my iPad original now since last June I know exactly what type of cover I will get. Since you have not had that experience you may ending up with more than one cover over the long hall. There are few covers out there at this time for the iPad 2 other than what apple is suppling. This of cour excludes any slip or zip up covers which should work for the iPad 2 even though they have been designed for the iPad original. Size change from the iPad original to the iPad 2 is downward in size. The rest of the items that can be used with your iPad 2 will most likely come into play as you Sind your personal use for the iPad ie tv cable, camera cable dock station(s), stands, keyboards etc. Just have fun researching the web for your add ons and be sure and read all of the forums for those you want to buy since the forum users are both savvy as well as honest with their opinions.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cover is definitely important, and I agree with the person above about how much of a personal preference it is. I had Apple's microfiber iPad 1 case and I hated it because of how clunky it was. Others love it. I personally want the bare minimum required to protect it from scratches and whatnot, because I don't like giving up functionality (personal opinion - some may not find it unnoticeable). I really like the Smart Cover for that reason. However, I am looking for something very thin and un-annoying to cover the back of it, because I had the Zagg case for my last iPad and the back got pretty scratched.

Other than that, there are no "must haves". I think the A/V HDMI connector is cool, because I want to be able to store movies on my tablet and, if I'm at someone else's house, play a movie through their TV. I've been in many situations where I have a movie that people want to watch, but they have no way to get it on their TV without a major hassle. A car charger is really unnecessary because of the battery life. The camera connection kit can be useful.

OP
T

Timi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks...i'd pass on the Apple's magnetic "half cover" and look out for a nice all round protective cover! You were right 'am sure i'd find more than a thousand use for the new iPad....AV adaptor tv cable def!

OP
T

Timi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanx all will 16gb be enough to accomodate all the activities mentioned earlier?

scottjl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanx all will 16gb be enough to accomodate all the activities mentioned earlier?

gizmodo has an excellent summary table over what model should work best for you.

as for "must have" the only thing i need is a "skin" from best skins ever, far cheaper than zagg. the apple smart cover isn't so smart when the back of your ipad gets all scratched up.

OP
T

Timi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ scott about the "smart cover" i thought so too; maybe "half smart".The buying guide on Gizmodo was very useful thanx!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to Ipad and would be buying Ipad 2. I'll be using it mainly for reading, surfing, learning languages & movies; what accessories should i get with it?

It is a matter of personal preference what you'd like. I think many people don't fully realize how much their accessories are an expression/extension of their personal tastes and aesthetics.

A case and/or sleeve is usually the most obvious, plus also either a screen protector and/or a skin. Other items like chargers/adapters, 30-pin-plugs, stylus, keyboards, etc, comes down to what you need to use the iPad for.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think 16gb will be enough. I had one and didn't use more than 5gb. Depending on your situation, movies can be streamed to your iPad via Air Video and thus will not use any space on your iPad, but you should be doing it over LAN (preferably) or a fast WiFi connection.

I'm not sure how much space foreign language programs take up, but I've only ever used ~3-4gb for apps and that includes a few large games. Unless you're storing hundreds of music albums or HD movies for streaming to a TV, 16gb will be fine.

OP
T

Timi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanx nickso....10 more days to go to catch a glimpse of it in the UK!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts