What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 Newbie

mmv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello- I'm looking into buying an Ipad 2. I'm just very confused about all adapters being sold as part of accessories. Which adapters are useful to buy (iPad Camera Connection Kit,Apple Digital AV Adapter,Additional iPad 10W USB Power Adapter, Apple VGA Adapter)? I was told that the Ipad only comes with a dock....if all accesories are needed I don't understand why they are not included with the Ipad.

I will be using Ipad to talk to my daughter while she is studying abroad, take pictures, watch movies and email.
Thank you-

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

The iPad comes with a charger and charging/USB connecting lead. That is all you need to be able to use the iPad, all the other accessories are indeed optional.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. A link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any adapters with my iPad, but I would assume that the Skype app (or Facetime if she has an Apple product) would work for talking to your daughter abroad. If you're taking pics with your iPad itself you obviously wouldn't need any sort of hookup. As for watching movies, there are plenty of apps for that, and you can purchase movies from iTunes itself. But if you have a DVD you want to convert for your iPad, there are free programs that do that, too.

I'm not sure I'm much help... but welcome!

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The camera connection kit allows the iPad to read .jpg photos from an SD card or to plug in a usb cable to your camera and read them directly. I understand it can read photos from certain USB drives, but I cannot get this to work with any USB drives that I have.

The AV adapter is used, I believe, to show your iPad screen on a TV or bigger monitor. The VGA adapter does the same thing with displays requiring such and input.

The power adapter is for those who desire additional units. The iPad comes with one.

You need none of these things to use your iPad, unless you require their special capabilities. Based on your stated needs, I don't believe you will need any of these adapters.

OP
M

mmv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I'll keep reading more about the Ipad 2...was a bit concern about the post on "screen design flaw" on Ipad 2.
Have a great day!

Most reactions