What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Blobs

Clickclickw00t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I broke my old ipad's terminal connector by accident and I sent it to Apple. It was jailbroken with jailbreakme.

They sent me an iPad back, which had 3.2 on it (as crazy as that seems, even after they stopped signing 3.2 blobs)
I jailbroke it with jailbreakme and everything is fine and dandy.

Now here comes the weird part: when I got into Cydia it says this

SHSH: iOS 3.2.2, 4.2b3

on the bottom it says : iPad, iOS 3.2, Cydia 1.0.3221-72

Here's my question: HOW THE HELL does Cydia have SHSH saved from 3.2.2 when I NEVER installed it, in this iPad or the previous one. Furthermore, why does it have a 4.2b3 shsh when I never had that either? Is it possible that the iPad they sent me is a refurb and that the person who had it before me jailbroke it as well? I can't seem to make any sense of this.

I don't even know if it has my SHSH blobs saved for 3.2 or 3.2.1 so I can upgrade to 4.2.1 to try it out and then revert back.
Any help would be appreciated!

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't check Cydia, but tinyumbrella (or was it redsn0w?) seems to have saved the according blobs, too, even if I hadn't installed some of the older OS.
Maybe it's because the untethered JB right now (if it gets released) depends on beta3 of iOs 4.2. Or maybe they want to give the ability to chose which os you want. No matter what, I appreciate having the data so I can chose which os I want rather than having apple telling me I cannot revert.

I can install win 98/95/NT or whatever windows I would like, although I admit I'm running on win7 64bit currently and really like it.
What matters to me is "that I could if I wanted".
:)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I broke my old ipad's terminal connector by accident and I sent it to Apple. It was jailbroken with jailbreakme.

They sent me an iPad back, which had 3.2 on it (as crazy as that seems, even after they stopped signing 3.2 blobs)

Here's my question: HOW THE HELL does Cydia have SHSH saved from 3.2.2 when I NEVER installed it, in this iPad or the previous one. Furthermore, why does it have a 4.2b3 shsh when I never had that either? Is it possible that the iPad they sent me is a refurb and that the person who had it before me jailbroke it as well? I can't seem to make any sense of this.

I don't even know if it has my SHSH blobs saved for 3.2 or 3.2.1 so I can upgrade to 4.2.1 to try it out and then revert back.

You have received a refurbished iPad which somebody else had previously jailbroken and instructed Cydia to save their blobs. Once you start Cydia saving blobs for you it will carry on for each new IOS version, hence the reason it has kindly done 4.2b3 for you as well. Nothing to worry about. Just be glad someone jailbroke that device for you, just as I am sure the person who gets your refurbished iPad (when Apple fix the connector) will be glad that you did the same for them....

OP
C

Clickclickw00t

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You have received a refurbished iPad which somebody else had previously jailbroken and instructed Cydia to save their blobs. Once you start Cydia saving blobs for you it will carry on for each new IOS version, hence the reason it has kindly done 4.2b3 for you as well. Nothing to worry about. Just be glad someone jailbroke that device for you, just as I am sure the person who gets your refurbished iPad (when Apple fix the connector) will be glad that you did the same for them....

That's what I figured. I just can't seem to figure out why my 3.2 blobs aren't saved. how can I save those?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I figured. I just can't seem to figure out why my 3.2 blobs aren't saved. how can I save those?

You cant save blobs retrospectively, otherwise there would be no point in Apple using them. So the short answer is you can't. You just have to live with what you have got saved and go on from there...

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what happened to me, When I jail broke for my first time on any idevice, I opened cydia and it said I had shsh for 3.2.2 and 4.2b3. I got my iPad with 3.2.2 then upgraded the day of 4.2.1. I bought the iPad from best buy, unopened brand new... It's very weird lol so now I'm back on 3.2.2 untethered jailbreak waiting for 4.2.1 untethered :)

OP
C

Clickclickw00t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what happened to me, When I jail broke for my first time on any idevice, I opened cydia and it said I had shsh for 3.2.2 and 4.2b3. I got my iPad with 3.2.2 then upgraded the day of 4.2.1. I bought the iPad from best buy, unopened brand new... It's very weird lol so now I'm back on 3.2.2 untethered jailbreak waiting for 4.2.1 untethered :)

i guess i'm in the same boat for a while too.

Most reactions

Latest posts