What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webpage shrinking

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Having issues with a forum

community.giffgaff.com

Not sure if it is just the mentioned forum

If you go to the forums and go into any thread, click on options on the top right of the post

On my ipad 1, 2, air, iPhone 3, 4, 5, upon clicking options, the forum will shrink, however you can still see the black background fullscreen

It does not do this on my galaxy S4, nor my windows laptop or macbook

It is not limited to just Safari, but all other browsers that I have tried, doesn't matter if it is the mobile or full forum site

If I pinch the screen and then click on options it is fine until it is reloaded

Anyone have any ideas? Seems to be just apple mobile devices

All devices are up to date, I have even reset the ipad air as though it was brand new and still does the same

It is only the options drop down menu

Wish I never clicked it, I rarely use it, and now it is bugging the living daylights out of me, as I want to know why

Please, someone tell me it does the same for them

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I visit a thread in those forums (Firefox 27.0.1 on Linux) and click on the Options link, a horizontal scrollbar appears at the bottom of the screen - the scrollbar isn't present until you click the Options link. This would tell the web browser that new content has been added to the screen. However, when I view the area to the right there is no visible content. When you pinch the screen you are allowing the browser to resize to fit in all of the new content, but the window is "reset" upon reloading because that new content isn't available to the browser until the Options link is clicked.

My opinion: bad web ui programming - it's a bug in the HTML/CSS/PHP code, there's nothing you can do about it except to notify the webmaster and maybe they can fix it on their end. If you do contact them, ask them to incorporate web ui code that is Apple-friendly (Apple web developer pages). I do this with all of my websites and it works quite well in all browsers.

Last edited:
OP
W

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Thank you, I thought as much, but none of them seem to have the problem, was driving me nuts lol

I hate finding a problem and not knowing why lol

I can sleep properly now :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, I thought as much, but none of them seem to have the problem, was driving me nuts lol

I hate finding a problem and not knowing why lol

I can sleep properly now :)

Don't feel bad, I do the same thing.. this type of thing is what got me into web development years ago.

Open a different web browser and click on the Options link, then see if the browser will then let you scroll to the side, I'm betting it will. Some web browsers don't actually display a scrollbar until you start scrolling, which is likely why you didn't notice the symptoms.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts