What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webpage pop-down selection menus using touchscreen displays

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are pop-down selection menus accessible with a touchscreen device like the iPad in Safari? For example, if you load a site like Yahoo Finance (Yahoo! Finance - Business Finance, Stock Market, Quotes, News) on a PC, and hover over one of the top tabs (e.g., Investing, News, Personal Finance) with your mouse, then a pop-down menu selection is displayed. Unfortunately with a touch screen display, you have to touch the top-level tab to activate it, and then it takes your touch as a selection and defaults to the link defined for the top-level tab. So I can't select the pop-down selections. Instead, I get the tab default link. (Note that when I touch the top-level tab, the pop-down selection menu is displayed, but the default tab link is already being loaded at that point.)

Maybe it is user error on my part (I am new to the ipad). Is there a way to navigate into these tab pop-down selections with the iPad touchscreen?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It appears that this is the way the web site is made. As in, it's not optimized for touch screen devices. However, when I do click on one of those main links and the main page loads, there is a second line now showing below those main links. From what I can see, that second line is what you would have been offered if you could have used the mouse to hover. See this for what I mean:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkBeta05041337188237.147573.jpg

Then, when you press on a link in that second line, you get taken to that section.

Again, it's not you or the iPad - it's the way the web site is designed...

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
K

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn. All this time I did not see the secondary line.

I did find some more info on this with a Google search, and did find that this (as you state) is a design issue regarding the traditional 'mouse' designs versus the touchscreen designs that are becoming more popular with pads and smartphones. Merging the two in one application can be challenging for the developers.

With the Yahoo Finance site unfortunately the one tab selector that started my inquiry happens to be the "My Portfolios" tab. The submenus under that tab are not hardcoded (i.e., the user defines their portfolio names) and it appears that Yahoo hasn't designed it to dynamically display the user portfolios in a secondary line choice. Too bad.

Thanks again for clarifying

Most reactions

Latest posts