What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Web Browsers

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New question about Atomic...

Is there a way to make it the default browser???

PhilipJFry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread got me to buy Atomic a few days ago. I can post fine. My only complaint was a few crashing issues when I first got it. It seems to be working better now.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
This thread got me to buy Atomic a few days ago. I can post fine. My only complaint was a few crashing issues when I first got it. It seems to be working better now.

I'm using it tonight simply because it is woking.... But in all honesty I can't really tell any real difference between it and Safari. I am not at all dissing Atomic, but what is the real advantage?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I'm using it tonight simply because it is woking.... But in all honesty I can't really tell any real difference between it and Safari. I am not at all dissing Atomic, but what is the real advantage?

To me? It's ability to move between tabs more easily, to open more tabs than Safari (and in the background, no less), and to configure gestures for various functions. Despite being made by someone other than Apple, Atomic makes better use of the iPad's touch interface than Safari.

For instance, the way I use this forum is to search for new posts. I scroll down and open all the threads I'm interested in in another tab. I then swipe back and forth among the tabs, replying where I want or swiping them closed when I'm done. I also like that you can put all your bookmarks on the menu bar, as you can swipe it back and forth if they don't fit the screen. And as been mentioned numerous times, you can set the user-agent to another browser, so you're not sent to the mobile version of a web site that wrongly identifies Safari Mobile for Ipad.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I first got atomic lite but just today got the full version, looks good, kinda reminds me of firefox, does anybody know how to import the books marks from safari on the iPad..?

PhilipJFry

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tabs are the big thing for me. Additionally, I feel like it handles bookmarks better - but that may be that my limited mind did not understand Safari's bookmark capabilities.

Balibe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting .... I was able to replicate the gray box with IE8 as my rendering [the only one I checked with]. My last post was with Mobile Safari - iPad as the setting, which works fine. This is my default unless there a page I need to change it for, which is not very often.

Perfect Browser has the rendering option from the gear icon, so you don't have to go several clicks into the settings menu to change this on the fly.

I haven't tried it, but Perfect Browser also has a function called vBulletin Forum Helper from the Bookmark Menu that lets you reply or create threads on forums that use vBulletin software. It says the text box is grayed out and this lets you enter text. Will give it a try on my next post and update.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
New question about Atomic...

Is there a way to make it the default browser???

Just move Safari icon out of the dock and on to the second or third page, and put the Atomic icon in its place.

Congratulations! You have a new "default" browser.

I may be missing something but this does not work. I even turned the ipad on and off twice. As a default browser it would be the browser selected when you click on links in your email and other places on the ipad.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may be missing something but this does not work. I even turned the ipad on and off twice. As a default browser it would be the browser selected when you click on links in your email and other places on the ipad.
That's what I was looking for... a way to make Atomic the browser that other apps look for. At least Windows lets you select a default browser other than Explorer!

kgian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app in cydia named browser changer which can change the default browser. I use it successfully to change to icab!

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're using Atomic, then switch to, say, Mail, then back to Atomic, does it need to start up from scratch again? that would be the deal breaker for me... otherwise, I'd love a real tabbed browser...

Most reactions

Latest posts