What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch abc app and netflix app outside the US (Mexico)

jpmillet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, i hope someone can help me, I´ve been trying to figure out how to watch the abc app or the netflix app outside the US, i have read something about VPN but i dont understand how to make it work. I live in Mexico. Thankyou

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, i hope someone can help me, I´ve been trying to figure out how to watch the abc app or the netflix app outside the US, i have read something about VPN but i dont understand how to make it work. I live in Mexico. Thankyou
Are you using WiFi, or 3G?

Before tonight, neither were able to use 3G.

But ABC updated their App today to enable that.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
I think jpmillet's problem is these apps look at the IP address you're coming in from, and if it ain't US, it won't let you download anything. I had this problem using my MacBook running Hulu in Mexico and it just would not let me watch anything. (Tried connecting through a VPN in the states then running it, and that didn't work either.)

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would really like a solution to this as well, but I don't think I'll get one.

I've been experiencing this same problem with different websites since 2003 when I joined the Air Force and moved overseas. Italy, Honduras, and now Japan, all the same, content is blocked due to my region. I've had some minor success with proxy servers, but that won't work with iPad. I've even tried getting my military friends to e-mail these sites to tell them it's not fair to military overseas, and they should make some exception, but they won't do it.

:(

My wife was pretty excited about the ABC app, she likes a few ABC shows, even though she has difficulty understanding them (she's Japanese and her English is only ok). Too bad. :(

OP
J

jpmillet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, my problem is because of my IP, I've heard in other forums about paying for a VPN but dont know how it works and if i can do it here in Mexico. Im going to keep looking if someone else finds somehing ill be happy to hear.
Ps: Sorry for my bad english grammar

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue over here in Europe. They (abc and others) track the ip address. Basically it's for copyright reasons and because they have agreement with foreign tv channels, which block this.

I tried spoof location from Cydia, but had no success. :(

Ctkraag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue over here in Europe. They (abc and others) track the ip address. Basically it's for copyright reasons and because they have agreement with foreign tv channels, which block this.

I succeeded by using a us based VPN provider. It definitely worked

OP
J

jpmillet

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How you did it? You have to pay for the VPN provider? And do you know if this works on Mexico too?

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us

OK, so...
1. What is the name of the provider?
2. What does it cost?
3. Where (geographically) did you use it that it worked?
4. What were you using it for (ABC app or Hulu or what)?

I'm going to be traveling all over the world for a year, so getting this pinned down is a very big deal (not to mention for the military who are constantly moving as well). Thanks!

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to know also seeing that I'll be vacationing out of the country later this year. I'd like to able to watch ABC app while on vacation.

Zorban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need a VPN provider that gives you a US ip address.
On your iPhone/iPad add either a L2TP or a PPTP tunnel.
You can read on Apple site how to do the actual config.

Such a tunnel will give you an ip on the US server/network the tunnel connects to. When browsing the web you will access the Internet through that tunnel and the site you are browsing will see you as being in the US as it can only see your ip.

Hulu,ABC and all the others does then work.

Now to the tricky part.
To get this to work well and to be able to stream media you need this tunnel to be of good quality. Now there are free services you can find or cheap ones. Those may or may not work. To make sure you get a good connection with enough bandwidth for your needs you often have to pay for it.

Just Google for: US VPN Hulu ABC
That should give you a few to chose from :)

Good luck! And yes it works on regular computers too.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
out-of-country solved

Ok folks, here is the solution. It will cost you a bit, but it works seamless.

You will need a VPN tunnel to the US to have abc-player, Netflix, Pandora working.

Free of charge VPN tunnels like HotspotShield seems to work on Mac or PC quiet well, but I couldn't get it to work with the iPhone/iPad. I always got a "server not available" message from the VPN client.

Then there is FreeVPN, same issues.

I finally got on a pay VPN service in the US, which works like a dream.

If you only want to have US-services used (like abc, Pandora, Netflix), then it's $55/year. If you want BBC iPlayer (later this year), or other media from other countries outside the US, then it's $70/year for the US services plus $2/month per extra country. I got so excited about the thing, that I actually joined the referral program. So if you want to try this too, then send me your email-adress and I get you an invite. They also offer a full 7 day money return policy, if you are not satisfied.

Here is the "proof" ;)

Attachments

• abc1.jpg
    abc1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 611
  • abc2.jpg
    abc2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 551
  • abc3.jpg
    abc3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 577
  • Pandora1.jpg
    Pandora1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 521
  • Pandora2.jpg
    Pandora2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 476

carevalog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Kheldour, can you send me an invite for that VPN service?? I am new here and don¡t have enough posts to send you a PM.

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts