What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waiting For iPad Stuck on iTunes

Jahanzeb A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yup. ive tried that exactly. step by step. didnt work. ive never had this kind of problem restoring an iDevice. i think it could be the hardware. though ive never even dropped it.
the screen remains black now. and i get the error 4005

buzzzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey buddy,
I am one of the people who was having the same problem above in this thread.
I feel your frustration, and here's how I got my case fixed up..
Since I narrowed the problem down to being of a hardware-case, and not a software-case, I contacted apple customer service chat care (really easy to reach) and we agreed on simply sending the iPad back to apple, and two days later, after verifying that the iPad was damaged, I was sent a new one free of charge.

Thanks

carpethanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jahanzeb A:
Just an outside chance here: Maybe try using an OLDER version(s) of iTunes if you have one. (If you use Time Machine on your Mac you may have an older version there, or try install an older version onto your PC, may even be a better option using the PC as iTunes on PC doesn't seem to be as extremely regulated as the Mac version.)

If you search the net you can likely find older version installs for iTunes (go for the minimum version that was needed for the new iPad 4 when first released). This worked for a friend who had similar issues to yours. Once he tried an older iTunes version it worked and let him gain access to and restored the idevice where the newer updated iTunes wouldn't and just kept giving errors or problems of one type or another.

To run an older iTunes on the Mac, you may have to boot into an older Mac OS as well (as in, not Mavericks, maybe Snow Leopard 10.6.8 etc). Might be easier to try on the PC installing an older iTunes version there (tho you may have to uninstall or disable the current version of iTunes on the PC, and ignore when you do install the older version and it tells you newer versions are available and asks if you'd like to 'update' to the newer one.... say NO obviously.)

Also, make a backup of your iTunes data beforehand. And if you do get access, set the iPad up as a "New" device to hopefully avoid any of the corrupted stuff, and you can restore from your backup data after all is working again.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the older iTunes will reactivate your ipad (hope so!). If you do, then you can just reactivate your original version of iTunes on your PC, and trash the older version you just installed to make the fix and all should be back to normal.

Oh, and one other thing that has caused problems, espec for jailbroken devices, is the "Find My iPhone" app (messed mine up for sure and caused major issues similar to yours, took forever to get running again). If you manage to somehow gain access to the iPad, disable the "Find My iPhone" app first thing, until you can get everything else going at least.

Hope you find a fix somewhere. Good luck!

Jahanzeb A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@buzzzz unfortunately, im in a country that does not not have an official apple store. i bought mine from Columbus Ohio. no way to return it to apple. and i dont think theyd replace it, since it JUST ran out from the 1 year warranty period.

it keeps getting stuck on error 4005 which is bad communication between ipad at the computer. ive read tons of forums and youtubed a lot of videos. nothing helps. one guy suggested that there could be some dust deposit in the lightning port. i dunno. possible?

@carpethanger appreciate the advice. tried itunes 11.00 which came out right after the ipad 4 was released. (and tried every subsequent itunes version thereafter) nothing seems to work. with older itunes, the restore process gets stuck on "contacting apple". the error that pops up is due to apple servers not recognizing old itunes. sucks!

i had find my iphone enabled. but no way to disable that now.

from what ive learnedso far.. itunes cant communicate with the ipad properly. (although it does recognize it and powers it on during the restore process. along with a few flashes on screen)
i really belive that this is a hardware issue now. ive never had problem restoring i devices, which ive been doing for years. this one is a real head scratcher.
might have to take it to a professional. and if nothing works, probably sell it for parts. sigh

carpethanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@buzzzz unfortunately, im in a country that does not not have an official apple store. i bought mine from Columbus Ohio. no way to return it to apple. and i dont think theyd replace it, since it JUST ran out from the 1 year warranty period.

it keeps getting stuck on error 4005 which is bad communication between ipad at the computer. ive read tons of forums and youtubed a lot of videos. nothing helps. one guy suggested that there could be some dust deposit in the lightning port. i dunno. possible?

@carpethanger appreciate the advice. tried itunes 11.00 which came out right after the ipad 4 was released. (and tried every subsequent itunes version thereafter) nothing seems to work. with older itunes, the restore process gets stuck on "contacting apple". the error that pops up is due to apple servers not recognizing old itunes. sucks!

i had find my iphone enabled. but no way to disable that now.

from what ive learnedso far.. itunes cant communicate with the ipad properly. (although it does recognize it and powers it on during the restore process. along with a few flashes on screen)
i really belive that this is a hardware issue now. ive never had problem restoring i devices, which ive been doing for years. this one is a real head scratcher.
might have to take it to a professional. and if nothing works, probably sell it for parts. sigh

Jahanzeb A
That's disappointing for sure. Wish could be of some assistance. Seeing as your warranty has only just expired, maybe try contact Apple and see if they might be willing to help you out in some fashion. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will. Nothing to lose in asking especially at this stage, worst they could say is no. Hope they do give you a helping hand (and a new ipad!). Shall be pulling for you!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you seen this tutorial? It may help if you follow every step exactly.
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/t...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-ios.52863/

yup. ive tried that exactly. step by step. didnt work. ive never had this kind of problem restoring an iDevice. i think it could be the hardware. though ive never even dropped it.
the screen remains black now. and i get the error 4005
If you tried the tutorial and followed every step exactly, it will work unless there is a hardware fault in your iPad. I think it's time to visit the nearest Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment, where they can run a full diagnostic to see if there are any problems.

Jahanzeb A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@carpethanger thank you for the kind words. nope. i need to be at the apple store, or send it through someone. so that possibility was ruled out.
this is probably off topic but..
i took it to apple resellers, who deal with apple products and repair. they spent a few days on it, and said it was a hardware failure and they would have to open it. as opposed to using it as a paper weight, i gave them the go ahead. they're still trying to figure it out. im not very optimistic about the results.
so, the main question is, is it worth buying another ipad? is this kind of hardware failure common? has it happened before? i always thought apple never compromised on quality, although they let the ball drop in a lot of other departments. i was actually considering the surface pro 3. but it doesnt have LTE or GPS. something that i need for flying. im just really afraid of wasting money on an iPad, if thats going to suffer the same fate.
maybe an iPad air 2?

bessou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello
i want to get help with my ipad 1 , i have in starting the symbole of i tunes with cable and when i do restore with i tunes and in the end of restores i have this error ennable to restor and the error is (-1)
help please
thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hello
i want to get help with my ipad 1 , i have in starting the symbole of i tunes with cable and when i do restore with i tunes and in the end of restores i have this error ennable to restor and the error is (-1)
help please
thanks
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Try using a different USB port, hopefully this will help. Your iPad is in recovery mode, so this is what you should have to do: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

A few more things you can try:
Make sure iTunes is up to date - the latest version is 11.4, afaik.
Disconnect other USB devices.
Disable or uninstall your security software temporarily.
Restart your computer.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts