What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume problem on iPad 3

Fred1977b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The last three days, the volume on my iPad 3 has been decreasing and is now nearly gone. If I put my ear to the speaker, I can still hear the sound, but I can't increase the volume to an audible level.

I've resetted the iPad; checked the settings in General (Mono audio = off), in sounds (change with button = on), and in music (volume limit = off).

Any idea what is causing this?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Given your investigations, I'm pretty certain you have a hardware fault.

You might want to try hooking up to a) headphones and b) external BlueTooth speaker to see if you can isolate the issue further. If you have controllable volume using either or both you probably have a dud iPad speaker. If not, the sound output itself has gone wonky.

OP
F

Fred1977b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hooking it up to an external speaker (through a docking station) does give me normal volume again.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's about the best possible outcome. I know it's a pain to be without the internal speaker, but it sounds like that's the limit of your problem.

I have no idea how much it would cost to have the speaker repaired. If you have an Apple Store close by, could be worth setting up a Genius Bar appointment to find out. If it's horribly expensive, you can always say no.

OP
F

Fred1977b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the help and advise... I can always use it exclusively as an expensive alarm clock... ;-(

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd spend the $130 on a Braven 625s BT speaker. It gives far better sound than the internal speaker ever did.

image.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It does sound like a hardware problem.

The only other things you can try that might help are to Reset All Settings, under Settings > General > Reset. Or a clean restore. If those don't work, then it's bound to be a hardware problem, either with the speakers or the amplifiers/drivers for the speakers.

Headphones might be another, not entirely satisfactory, solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts