What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Videocall software for senior citizens

malke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

My mom is a senior citizen and is at a retirement home. I would very much like to be able to make videocalls with her, but I'm afraid the interface is too complicated to her. So I need some software which HAS to be very, very basic. Large icons, incredible simple interface etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? Is the any "senior-friendly" software around regarding videocalls?

Really hope you can help!

Regards
Malke

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It really is a pretty simple interface, as long as you've set it up initially to be so.

It turns on right away, there's a big window showing all the people she could call. If she presses on a contact, there are buttons to make a video or voice call.

It really is a very basic program that, IMNSHO, works very well. So, I'd recommend it (especially since its free!).

Marilyn

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skype is certainly my first choice suggestion for a video calling app... but for the purpose described here unfortunately there's a BUT (and its not software related)...

... my retired mum&dad-in-law are quite tech savvy and frequently video Skype on the PC. A few times I've tried them out Skyping on my iPad... and the problem is that they're hopeless at holding the iPad at the right angle so that the person they're Skyping can see them! They wave it around all over the place... great views of the ceiling, lap, wall behind them, etc, sometimes a glimpse of a chin or cheek, but very rarely the whole face! They just seem to have a mental block on the concept that when making a video call they need to think about what the person they're calling can see and keep an eye on the little picture of themselves. When they video Skype from their PC or laptop its fine because the device is in a fixed position on the table and like most PC/laptop users they stay in relatively stationary position sitting on a chair in front of it.

Soooo... my experience is that it may not be just whether or not you can find a suitable app that should be considered.

OP
M

malke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers so far!

Jenningsville: I see the issue. This could be an issue with my mom as well, since she suffered from a brain damage.

Is it possible to clear the desktop screen, so that only the Skype icon is visible?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure. Just have only that app on the main screen (the one that shows up when the iPad is turned on. Put everything else on a different screen (or all into a folder on a different screen). So, out of sight, out of mind...

Marilyn

Most reactions