What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Playback Ninety Degrees Mis-Oriented: Why, And How To Correct ?

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Have taken some videos with the iPad, and uploaded them to my Windows 7 PC with a nice APP I found.

All is fine, except that they are ninety degrees out of orientation, and need to be rotated when using
the video viewers I am familiar with.

Probably the way I was holding the iPad, I guess.
But, I thought the videos on playback should look correct irrespective of how I hold the camera.
True ?

a. If so, why the playback mis-orientation ?

Looked at, and played with:

Windows media Player
VLC Media Player
SplashLite

None seem to have a "Rotation" option. A bit surprising.

Apple QuickTime shows in correct orientation, but I don't like using it at all.

b. Also tried IrfanView which wouldn't recognize the file type.
I like IrfanView a lot; any way of using for iPad Videos ?

c. Anyone know of a "Video Viewer" that would enable me to rotate the video ninety degrees ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

D

dvdcatalyst

It seems that the video just has a quicktime "flag" set for the rotation, which is why Quicktime recognizes it, and other players don't.

You could always rotate your screen itself :)

Anyway, VLC does have a rotate option.

vlc rotate.jpg

You can find it in Tools > Effects and Filters.

Then there, select the Video Effects tab at the top of the box, and then the Geometry tab underneath.

Another option is to use a conversion tool such as DVD Catalyst 4 to counter the rotation applied in the video.

To do that, just download and install from Home of DVD Catalyst 4 - convert fast and easy AVI DVD MKV to Bionic Droid iPad3 iPhone4 iPod Touch4 Iconica Innotab Galaxy Tab Nabi Playbook Transformer Prime Thrive Vita Xoom XyBoard and more

start the program, and enable the "Power User" checkmark and go into Global Settings.

rotate video 01.jpg

then go into the "borders" tab, and near the bottom you will find rotation options:

rotate video 02.jpg

after that, just drag your videos over and start a conversion.

After the conversion, the video will be oriented properly, and regardless of the player you use, it will display as intended.

With video conversion, there is always some quality loss, but if you use the Apple > iPad3 HQXT profile in DVD Catalyst 4, the quality-loss will be minimal. The profile triggers an advanced feature called CRF, which performs quality optimization on the fly.

OP
R

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From OP:

Hello,

Great info.

Thanks so much; really appreciate it.

Regards,
Bob

OP
R

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From OP: Screen Flipping In W7 ?

Hello,

Thanks for help.

As best I can determine, the screen orientation options in W7 just allow for 180 deg. flipping; upside down in effect.

Can see no way to do just 90 degrees.

Is there, and I am missing it, as usual ?

Regards,
Bob

D

dvdcatalyst

Hello,

Thanks for help.

As best I can determine, the screen orientation options in W7 just allow for 180 deg. flipping; upside down in effect.

Can see no way to do just 90 degrees.

Is there, and I am missing it, as usual ?

Regards,
Bob

Some videocard drivers offer rotation as well, just go into the configuration utility for your card (usually an icon next to your clock) and look in its settings.
But, this will of course rotate everything. If it is just the video you want to display rotated, try the VLC suggestion in my previous reply.

Most reactions

Latest posts