What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibraphone and Fusion/Bluenote Jazz, Anyone?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love it! The piano and the vibraphone are my two most beloved instruments (I don't play, sadly). The latter is the most under-appreciated, IMHO. My five favorite performers-all of them the grand masters of the vibes-and my fave songs of the genre:

"Odds Against Tomorrow" (concert and soundtrack versions, especially the latter-great movie, by the way) by The Modern Jazz Quartet. Pretty much everything they did was great.

"Olinga" by Milt Jackson (Bags was, and still is, the best vibraphonist EVER...end of discussion). This is one of his signature songs...essential Milt.

"Verse" by Bobby Hutcherson

"Dreams So Real" by Gary Burton

"Ring Dem Bells" by Lionel Hampton (You know when you cheer for that little bird in Tiny Wings when he hits the clouds in between islands? Yeah, it's like that. You can't HELP but feel good listening to this song!)

And, an "honorable mention" in the vibraphone category goes to another of my all-time fave songs:

"Playground Love (Vibraphone Version)", an instrumental in "The Virgin Suicides" soundtrack by Air. For some reason, this one has special meaning to me along with the others above.

By the way, I also love Ragtime. My fave is Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag" performed by Joshua Rifkin.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

Jimmyblues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I always loved an MJQ album..under the jasmine tree... It was actually on the Apple label. I was very young, playin classical piano, into the Beatles, Fugs, Mothers. I loved that album because instead of a collection of jazz standards, it was all the jasmine theme and each track was a variation which I could understand from classical music.

I'm in Detroit, never got to play with Milt, did play a few gigs with his brother (drummer) who looks just like him, aNd some of his other relatives who play.

I just wanted to reply to a jazz post.

Thanks

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. I do like the Vibraphone.

I suggest you give a listen (not you, I'll bet you have know these players) to Lionel Hampton and Milt Jackson.

Most reactions