What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VGA Adaptor?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased the VGA adaptor assuming that it would simply show the iPad screen on my TV (which has a VGA input) as would normally be the case. I saw this as an advantage over Apple TV which will only stream media content as I understand it.

It looks like I was WRONG:mad:. Even the the VGA adaptor is apparently only active while media content is being output. I assume that this is supposedly related to DRM.

Is this correct? Is there a third party VGA adaptor that works "normally"?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The App has to support the VGA adapter, which I think GoodReader does, if you have that app to try.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The App has to support the VGA adapter, which I think GoodReader does, if you have that app to try.

Reading around on the Web, many people have been caught out by this. Normal expectation would be for the VGA adaptor to simply display whatever is on the screen.

I think that I would add to the list of iPad features that don't meet "normal" expectations. These include no SD card/USB connectivity, no access to the file system and now unexpected VGA functionality.

No doubt many iPad fans will think that I am being unreasonable but I am sure that many who have purchased the iPad have had a similar experience.

DaWeav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, it's especially confusing when the Apple CEO himself, Mr. Steve Jobs, actually does it during his keynote when he's demoing the latest iPad version 4.x on stage!!! I guess Mr. Jobs was using a 'jailbroken' iPad since the only way that us customers can do it is on a jailbroken iPad???

Anyway, here is a CNET How-To video which explains how to display your iPad on an external monitor, but this video was done before latest iPad version 3.2.2 was released so the jailbreak method explained in the video probably doesn't work; Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Last edited:
OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that I would add to the list of iPad features that don't meet "normal" expectations. These include no SD card/USB connectivity, no access to the file system and now unexpected VGA functionality.

I could add the inability to print to the list. I know that will be addressed in iOS 4.2 but I will have to buy a new printer. The cost is not so much an issue as simply having another printer with different cartridges etc. I do appreciate that Airprint avoids the need for printer drivers but it is a bit irksome.

While I a about it, navigation is also a bit of an issue. The smaller hyper-links on web pages are a bit tricky at times and it would be nice to have cursor keys.

I won't even mention THAT word Flash (oops, I just did). The lack of it means that there is an ever growing list of web sites that I can't access with the iPad.

What do I like about the IPad? The battery like, instant start up and it IS pretty cool.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think those are fair criticisms, and I betcha Apple will fix them all eventually - except the flash ;)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, it's especially confusing when the Apple CEO himself, Mr. Steve Jobs, actually does it during his keynote when he's demoing the latest iPad version 4.x on stage!!!
Well, when you're the CEO of a $200 million corporation, all you have to do is call the boys in R&D and tell them you need an iPad that will do what he needs it to do... or they're fired!

Or as Mel Brooks once said --

It%27s%20Good%20To%20Be%20The%20King.jpg

"Its good to be the king!"

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do I like about the IPad? The battery like, instant start up and it IS pretty cool.

That should have been, "battery life" of course.

Once more gripe, while I am here, is limited Bluetooth functionality. Bluetooth could be used to overcome some missing features, such as a lack of GPS on the WiFi model, but it is not a full implementation.

Having said all that, the iPad sits on my coffee table, goes for days between charges and is now my primary device for web browsing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts