What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VGA Adapter/Larger Screens

DP55412

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you use the video out capabilities with the VGA adapter and hook it up to a larger desktop monitor, does it always show what's on the screen? Or only works watching movies or presenting Keynote?

My thought is: if you used the iPad and a larger screen for better 'real estate' you could use this at your desk as an controller (keyboard/mouse/touchscreen). For instance, if you wanted to build something in Pages/Keynote, but wanted a large view as you built it (using a larger, external monitor).

Thoughts??

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you use the video out capabilities with the VGA adapter and hook it up to a larger desktop monitor, does it always show what's on the screen? Or only works watching movies or presenting Keynote?

My thought is: if you used the iPad and a larger screen for better 'real estate' you could use this at your desk as an controller (keyboard/mouse/touchscreen). For instance, if you wanted to build something in Pages/Keynote, but wanted a large view as you built it (using a larger, external monitor).

Thoughts??

Pretty sure that's what they used to do the demo keynote...so anything on screen will be on the projector/monitor/big screen. I think only the Component/Composite cables are restricted to only show video.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure about this but I wonder if a Netgear Push2TV Wireless TV Adapter (PTV1000-100NAS) would work on an iPad. It basically takes a display off a laptop and broadcasts as a wifi signal to a device hooked on a TV .

Sciguy1966

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VGA disappointment!

I connected my iPad to my LG LCD tv and a projector at work... No netflix showing. I also could not see the iPad screen... Only can see YouTube video content and the iPad screen stops while content is visible. Can see photos and the presentation program. I am sad. I wanted to present this device to my staff. I do not want to have to do it on a document camera.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I connected my iPad to my LG LCD tv and a projector at work... No netflix showing. I also could not see the iPad screen... Only can see YouTube video content and the iPad screen stops while content is visible. Can see photos and the presentation program. I am sad. I wanted to present this device to my staff. I do not want to have to do it on a document camera.

You have the wrong adapter. You need an iPad component adapter with RGB out to display anything with DRM.

Reaction score
Website
www.kevinpurcell.org
It only pushes to the output what the app tells it to push. If the app does not have that feature it won't work. I only tested Keynote and the Photos app so I cannot say about Netflix or others yet. I will check and report back.

Sciguy1966

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right on brother.

Apple has a list of apps that display and netflix is not on it. :(. I will have to use my laptop for that. It is not the plug. Iwnted to be able to show the cool functionality. The same problem I have with my Apple Emate. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts