What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very few ipad specfic apps

mikeytaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only had my iPad for a few days, but already I have found there are not as many iPad specific apps as I though considering apple have brought out the iPad 2 you would think Facebook,paypal and others would have brought out an app just for the iPad? I was also under the impression once I paid for an app on my phone I wouldn't have to pay for an app on my iPad which isn't the case which is a bit gutting because I have bought a few and now have to spend more money!
But I cannot complain though loving my iPad and getting used to it day by day, but already I want to jailbreak it!, I jail broke my 3GS and my 4 and don't regret doing it one bit, apps are getting more and more expensive and although I would love to be able to afford every app it's just not possible considering the iPad costs £500 on it's own.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have an iPhone but I thought you didn't have to make the purchase twice, if the app is compatible for both (which most I have are). I also have I think a total of 3 apps that are not compatible for the iPad (and take up a small portion of the screen bc it's an iPhone/iPod app). Apparently Facebook is coming out with an official iPad app, but for now I switch between MyPad and Facely and both do the trick temporarily.

But yeah. No complaints here either .. I love my iPad.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the iTunes app check the purchased icon. You should be able to download all purchased apps for free if you are using the iPhone version. Some do have an iPad version that you have to purchase.

OP
mikeytaylor

mikeytaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I wanted to buy fruit ninja for iPad would it be free because I have bought the one for iPhone or do I have to buy it again? Because they are different prices

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fruit Ninja lite is free. Also, on the iPad an iPhone app can be made larger by checking the small button on the lower right. You probably do have to pay for the full iPad version. I like to wait for sales!

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The pickings are even slimmer in the Cydia store...and some tweaks and things are difficult to tell if they work with iPad or not. I've installed a few that made my iPad respring a million times and made apps crash.

When you do JB it, make sure you purchase something like PkgBackup (to backup all your repos and packages) and then backup/sync your iPad before you install anything that looks remotely suspicious. Cydia does have a list on the first page of featured items for the iPad but many are paid and sometimes you can find similar - if not better - tweaks or apps for free if you search. Oh yeah, 2 other must-haves are Safari Download Manager and iFile. SDM is FANTASTIC if you ever need to download a file from Safari. iFile allows you to view and delete these files, you can even use iFile to find the files and open them in a different app. I used to get frustrated with my iPad a lot before I installed those. They make my iPad a little bit closer to being a standalone device - at least now I don't have to use a PC to email the files to myself or use iTunes (barf). Also - I tried a few free "versions" of iFile - none of them come close. The $4 is VERY worth it. Same with SDM. Now, I'm just waiting for the moment to splurge on MyWi for my iPhone 4 (unlimited data plan!) so I can tether the two. My 30 day free trial ran out :( - and the data used isn't near as much as I thought.

As for apps - most apps are now compatible with both iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch. You have to look for the "+" icon. Some apps, however, are not and you have to buy them twice to use them on both devices. I, personally, don't spend more than a couple bucks on an app if I can't use it on both devices. Unless I have no use for it on the other device.

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a simple reason why there aren't as many iPad app, there are probably twice or thrice as much iPhones/iPods out there than iPads. Thus motivating the app developers to make more and more apps for the more smaller mobile iDevices. It makes scents, you said it yourself the iPad is much more pricey then the iPhones and iPods so less people by it. Why would the app developers make more apps for the product that sell least in the apple i lineup? I'm not say the iPad doesn't sell, i'm saying it sells less then the other iDevices. That's why there aren't as many apps for the iPad :D

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only had my iPad for a few days, but already I have found there are not as many iPad specific apps as I though considering apple have brought out the iPad 2 you would think Facebook,paypal and others would have brought out an app just for the iPad? I was also under the impression once I paid for an app on my phone I wouldn't have to pay for an app on my iPad which isn't the case which is a bit gutting because I have bought a few and now have to spend more money!
But I cannot complain though loving my iPad and getting used to it day by day, but already I want to jailbreak it!, I jail broke my 3GS and my 4 and don't regret doing it one bit, apps are getting more and more expensive and although I would love to be able to afford every app it's just not possible considering the iPad costs £500 on it's own.

Really? :confused: More than 90,000 iPad specific apps and growing plus another 100,000 universal (iPad/iPhone/iPod) apps. I get that a few that you'd think would have been created by now are MIA, but 200,000 apps or so seems like quite a few IMHO.

I have about 160 apps on our iPad and probably use 25% or less on a regular basis. Just sayin' :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of apps that you have bought for the iPhone will work on the iPad They have a 2x button to enlarge it for the iPad screen. But with some the graphics tend to blur a bit. There's an app called the App shopper, you can input a wish list and when the apps come on sale you will be notified. It's a great way to save money if you don't mind waiting for an App. Although some never seem to reduce their price. Enjoy!!

Most reactions