What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon won't sell an Ipad without a social security #

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think Verizon sells the iPad without a data plan. That would mean a monthly charge. They need the social to run a credit check.

If you don't need data, don't buy from Verizon. Sue them? lol, good luck.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people are way too sensitive about this stuff. Hope you never rent or buy a home, as most landlords now require a credit check.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used to work at a cellular kiosk and I couldn't make a hardware sale without a SSN either. It was sold exactly like it would be with a plan except no plan. It goes in the computer the same exact way. Like others have said, there are plenty of places to buy one besides a cellular kiosk. I wouldn't even think of going to a wireless provider to buy hardware without a contract. Not even a phone. I would most likely go to eBay for that.

hapishap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't recall the guy saying he was going to bring a lawsuit??? He just asked if it what they are doing was legal. And if not maybe he should report they're actions. What, your apposed to getting Verizon in "trouble" if their doing something illegal? I bet you'd be on your high horse pretty quick if they tried to take away your guns!!

And it's very naive of you to think that Verizon won't get hacked (if they haven't already) and his SS number will be buying "cars" or what ever all over the place.

Sorry buddy, but your off base here.

Sure he can take his business else where (and it sounds like he has) but he ALSO has the right to be pissed about his experience and then discuss and inform us about it in this open forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ Yakuzagang5

I don't recall the guy saying he was going to bring a lawsuit??? He just asked if it what they are doing was legal. And if not maybe he should report they're actions. What, your apposed to getting Verizon in "trouble" if their doing something illegal? I bet you'd be on your high horse pretty quick if they tried to take away your guns!!

And it's very naive of you to think that Verizon won't get hacked (if they haven't already) and his SS number will be buying "cars" or what ever all over the place.

Sure he can take his business else where (and it sounds like he has) but he ALSO has the right to be pissed about his experience and then discuss and inform us about it in this open forum.

Just sounds like whining to me.

And btw, Its not illegal for anyone to request your ss number.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This was pretty freaky!

I intended to purchase a Verizon wifi Ipad, with the associated mifi device. I made it clear that I was not committing to any service plan and understood that this would cost more.

The clerk scanned my Drivers License and refused to sell me the ipad, unless I provided him with a Social Security Number!! I declined and will never do business with Verizon.

Are any attorneys reading this post? Is this practice illegal? Can I get the store, or Verizon in trouble?

I can not be more shocked.

From what I understand on the news the Ipad/mifi is a package deal only.
There is no reason for them to sell you the ipad/mifi if you are not going to use the service plan.

Just buy the ipad somewhere else and get the mifi later....unless the Verizon package deal was cheaper together which was reason you were there.
Either way you will have to give somebody your SS if you get the mifi data plan.

I think the manager could have explained it to you. You're probably not the first person to try this.

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to thank the poster who defended me. I never mentioned suing Verizon. To be clear a 2 year plan was offered. With this, the Mifi device was free, and I was committed to the plan. If I accepted this, I understand the reason for a Social security number in order to run a credit check. I declined the plan as the store offered me to buy the iPad, and then pay a additional fee for the mifi unit. Not for any service, just the unit itself. Verizon would bill me monthly for the service. There was NO CONTRACT. My social security number had no value to Verizon with this setup.

For the poster who sold phones without contracts in a Kiosk, what on earth did your company do with the social security numbers that you collected??

Frankmezz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
next time just give a fake number (but remember what it is in case they ask for it someday) and if they reject your sale you know they used it for a credit check. it not, no harm done.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
next time just give a fake number (but remember what it is in case they ask for it someday) and if they reject your sale you know they used it for a credit check. it not, no harm done.

This is interesting.

Wish I could try it but I already have an iPad.
Don't need to use a fake number either.

I put a freeze on my credit 4 years ago with all three credit bureaus. Decided to do this after I found out someone started a credit card account in my name using my SS number in West Virginia when the bank was running a credit check on me for a mortgage refinance. The bank took care of it for me.
If I need to place a loan or something in the future I use the passcode(that I keep in my safe) and temporary thaw for 24 hours then it's frozen again.

If he had a freeze on his credit and they checked he would know right there.

Now i remember someone calling in on the Clark Howard show about this type of thing a couple of years ago.
The salesman asked for the SS number(customer had a freeze on his Equifax account) but ran the check just before the end the sale i think. Salesman could not access it because the customers credit was locked and tried to take the item back after purchase was final.
Can't remember what the purchase was though but the salesman was trying to run a check without telling him anything.

I wonder if this is something Apple wants them to do to limit multiple purchases.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if this is something Apple wants them to do to limit multiple purchases.

Apple didn't ask me for my SSN when I purchased my iPad; and I purchased two at the same time.

I thought 2 was the limit?
They did have a purchase limit but maybe that was for the first couple of months so customers could not resale in areas where they were not available for profit.
Remember someone mentioning this when I purchased an extra iPad at that time for someone in Switzerland.
But it wasn't for profit.

Last edited:

bwhicher

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just sounds like whining to me.

And btw, Its not illegal for anyone to request your ss number.

Privacy act of 1974. You're not required to give the SSN, but they can refuse you their service.

Snarky30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to chime in on this because I work for a cell phone carrier in the US. (Not Verizon) If it's not a prepaid type service, then a credit check is required even if you're paying full retail and not signing a contract to get the subsidized price.

Setting up a new customer for cell phone service is a very expensive process. It takes well over a year for a carrier to start making money on a customer, due to the expenses involved. That's why a credit check is ran even when you're not committing to a contract. They don't just risk it on everyone or they would lose a lot of money on people who can really only afford it for a month or two.

The only service that doesn't require a SSN is an actual prepaid service like Verizon's prepay service, Virgin Mobile, Boost, etc. But the Verizon mifi cards are not considered a prepay service.

Virgin Mobile and Cricket are the only two that come to mind that have a prepay data service.

OP
M

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

One can buy a, AT&T 3G Capable Ipad at any Apple store, without any commitment to AT&T 3G service and without providing a social security number. The way that it works is that the Ipad's first only work with Wifi, but come with an AT&T Sim card. The owner has the option of signing up for an AT&T data plan with the device, (but is not contractually required to do so) and registering a credit card for monthly payments. This process DOES NOT require the user to give the Apple store or AT&T a social security number.

I don't imagine that AT&T's costs to set up a new customer are any less than Verizon's. It appears that Verizon's intrusiveness is not economically based. Maybe they just enjoy being intrusive! In any event, their policy had a negative economic impact on them, as I declined to be a customer!

Most reactions

Latest posts