What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Wifi away from home

Karlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be staying at my mothers home and I want to know how to use my iPad and connect to the Internet but my mother has no internet connection. I assume I will need to instal a SIM card, can anyone recommend a good service provider that has a pay as you go plan that is reasonable. For me to make FaceTime calls for a week whilst not connected to a local home wifi network. There ar no free local hotspots I can use where she lives.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Karlo - welcome to the forum! :) Some additional information would be helpful: 1) What is your iPad model; 2) Is this a Wi-Fi only iPad or do you also have cellular; 3) If the latter, then what is your current provider, plan, and availability at your mother's home; and 4) Where does she live (at least the country)?

If Wi-Fi networks are not available to you, then you can certainly have internet connection via the use of the cellular feature on your iPad, if present; also, if you have a phone, can you setup a Wi-Fi hotspot? Finally, you can look into Mi-Fi options - these are basically small cellular routers that establish a local Wi-Fi network - the link provides plenty of examples along w/ pricing. Please provide answers to the questions above which will help w/ more specific suggestions. Dave

OP
K

Karlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Karlo - welcome to the forum! :) Some additional information would be helpful: 1) What is your iPad model; 2) Is this a Wi-Fi only iPad or do you also have cellular; 3) If the latter, then what is your current provider, plan, and availability at your mother's home; and 4) Where does she live (at least the country)?

If Wi-Fi networks are not available to you, then you can certainly have internet connection via the use of the cellular feature on your iPad, if present; also, if you have a phone, can you setup a Wi-Fi hotspot? Finally, you can look into Mi-Fi options - these are basically small cellular routers that establish a local Wi-Fi network - the link provides plenty of examples along w/ pricing. Please provide answers to the questions above which will help w/ more specific suggestions. Dave
It's wifi + cellular and location is in the UK.... My mothers home is in a remote location in the countryside so no local hotspots providing wifi.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you don't want to put the iPad on your current cellular plan (or start a new one) it is possible to buy SIM's with preset data allowances. I understand this is a fairly common practice in Europe. At least more common than it is over here.

I've heard you can even buy them in vending machines in the airport.

You'll want to ask some data savvy people in your mother's neighborhood about how good the coverage for a carrier is in her neighborhood.

Not being a traveler I can't make any specific recommendations, but I'm sure some of our other members have more experience.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's wifi + cellular and location is in the UK.... My mothers home is in a remote location in the countryside so no local hotspots providing wifi.

Hi again Karlo - thanks for the information above - my previous comments still applies, but seems like adding a SIM card to your iPad would be the easiest answer - you'll have to check the UK options as to providers and their payment plans - hopefully, some of our many members from the UK will 'chime in' w/ more specific advise. Good luck - Dave :)

Most reactions