What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using 'Pages'

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gang - I have an iPad2 using OS9. I've read a lot of people use 'Pages' to jot simple notes etc. Some people also send themselves emails which contain Hotel reservation data (etc.) they may need for a trip. Was wondering if you could open an email using 'Pages' so you could make text changes then save them. Also wondering if you could open a simple 'Microsoft Note Pad Document' with Pages?

Thank You
Mike

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can save a file to Pages, and edit it. It's not possible to open a document in the built in Mail app to edit it.

Pages can open .txt files, so it's possible to import a NotePad file to Pages, and read it or edit it.

OP
WWII Historian

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello J.A. thanx for the reply. Sorry, I wasn't asking if a file could be opened in 'Mail' and be able 'to edit in Mail' I don't use the iPad2 Mail App. I go directly to my server to get email. I thought I might be able to open an email (from the server using 'Pages'), not the iPad2 Mail App. But now that you've mentioned I can actually open a simple Microsoft 'notepad' using 'Pages' there seems to be no reason for the 'work-around' sending emails to myself. I'll just compose a series of 'notepads' containing travel data etc., and open them, (read them), using 'Pages.' Sound Feasible? - Thanks

OP
WWII Historian

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there again Mr. twerppoet

Yes thank you I only need a simple Notepad editor. One which could recognize and open a 'Windows Notepad' document (attached to an email) and can edit and resave the same document. The iWorks suite, (although nice), is a bit overkill. I'm amazed and equally confused by the HUGE variety of Notepad Apps available for iPads and iPhones. Unless you're familiar with an appropriate App I'll just keep searching.

Thanks twerppoet

OP
WWII Historian

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there again Mr. twerppoet

Just wanted to get back to you with thanks. It seems through extensive fiddling trying out countless basic editors, I finally discovered 'Docs To Go' (as you know they offer 2 different pay versions). They've apparently recieved repeated praise and it seems to work fine, (even the FREE version) without bogging down resources. Ready to give up, I was amazed in the bitter end ;) ! Basic Editors are simple but limited. And what I like about 'Docs' is that it seems to work offline as well. All the work gets stored in the App itself,(as you know) and its compatible with 'Word' and PDF etc. Its doing a nice job :D

Thank you once again for your patience as I slogged thru it :rolleyes:

Have a Nice Weekend!
Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad you found something you like. That is the biggest challange.

There are a huge assortment of text editors and word processors available for the iPad. As you've experienced, the hardest part is deciding which one is the best for you. I've tried several, and like serveral, but most of the time Notes is enough for what I need.

When I do need more, it's usually because I have to edit a Word document. Then I use the Microsoft Word app.

I rarely use Pages these days, but prefer it if I need to quickly create a flyer or other one or two page document (that needs printing) and don't need to share it with others (who mostly want Word documents). Page's layout tools are easier to use than Word's (at least in my experience).

When working with longer text documents that will be shared online, I prefer a dedicated text editor with more oomph than Notes, but without the extra bagage of Word or Pages. I use Byword most of the time, because it has decent MarkDown support. When I need .rtf instead of .txt I'll usually turn to Textilus (though I haven't used in so long that I had to redownload it today).

Most reactions