What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using an iPad2 for car GPS in UK

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Hi guys and Guyesses,
I want to ask a question that will make all the experts wince at the enormity of it but I have gone back 12 pages with no answers and I have also tried searching for "GPS" but none of the answers show the full details.
So here goes .....
I have an iPad 2 with wi-fi but no 3G and I would love to be able to use it as a sort of in-car Tom-Tom giving me verbal instructions of when to turn, which exit on a roundabout etc, etc, etc. But how do you do it? I read one thread from a pilot having GPS problems and the answers seemed to say that he didn't need his SIM card installed to use GPS so I'm guessing that you don't need 3G at all just as long as you have suitable maps installed on the iPad.
So apart from saying that I'm a complete buffoon when it comes to computers and such like but that I AM able to follow instructions (I'm married, after all.;)) that's my question.
Can an iPad 2 with no added attachments be used as an in-car GPS device and if so, how?
Many thanks for at least reading this far,
Steve

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The wifi only iPad does not have a GPS chip, therefore cannot give active locations to any sort of turn by turn navigation app. The reason is the GPS chip and 3G hardware on the 3G models are combined.

If you had a 3G model I believe you do not need the SIM for the GPS chip to give your location.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
777 is right on both accounts.

When you said you don't want to attach anything, I don't know if you also want to rule out the option of a Bluetooth gps. I use the Dual gps and it works fine. Connects a bit more slowly, eliminates the savings from not purchasing a 3G iPad, but at least you can keep it for future wifi iPads.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
777 .... Thank you very much for the info. I guess that settles that.

But then up pops ajcgn with an idea for attaching a bluetooth gizmo. Now, this could work.
Would this be the same sort of gizmo that you could pair with a PDA that had Tom-Tom installed?
I have one of those lying around somewhere.
Many thanks for all the info.
Steve

berth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5teve said:
Hi guys and Guyesses,
I want to ask a question that will make all the experts wince at the enormity of it but I have gone back 12 pages with no answers and I have also tried searching for "GPS" but none of the answers show the full details.
So here goes .....
I have an iPad 2 with wi-fi but no 3G and I would love to be able to use it as a sort of in-car Tom-Tom giving me verbal instructions of when to turn, which exit on a roundabout etc, etc, etc. But how do you do it? I read one thread from a pilot having GPS problems and the answers seemed to say that he didn't need his SIM card installed to use GPS so I'm guessing that you don't need 3G at all just as long as you have suitable maps installed on the iPad.
So apart from saying that I'm a complete buffoon when it comes to computers and such like but that I AM able to follow instructions (I'm married, after all.;)) that's my question.
Can an iPad 2 with no added attachments be used as an in-car GPS device and if so, how?
Many thanks for at least reading this far,
Steve

Hi, I do not know if iPad2has a built-in GPS ( I have iPad1 myself), but if it has it will work perfectly without using 3G. I have Garmin installed on my iPhone with all of Europe accessible. Used it from Malaga to Stockholm via France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Denmark and it worked perfecly. The iPad has a better screen size wkich is good but it may be more difficult to find a holder on the dashboard.
Berth

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5teve said:
777 .... Thank you very much for the info. I guess that settles that.

But then up pops ajcgn with an idea for attaching a bluetooth gizmo. Now, this could work.
Would this be the same sort of gizmo that you could pair with a PDA that had Tom-Tom installed?
I have one of those lying around somewhere.
Many thanks for all the info.
Steve

Unfortunately I made the leap from paper maps to the iPad, so I don't know how the PDA works.
The below link will show what the Dual can do. I believe there may be other products out there, but this is the only one I have experience with.

http://xgps150.dualav.com/

I guess you can try and see if your PDA bluetooth is discoverable by your iPad.
Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts