What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using a stylus with a screen protrctor

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using a stylus with a screen protector

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you were having response issues using a stylus with a screen protector. I have the wrapsol on now cuz it was the only one I could get. I want to use note taker HD but I am having issues with the response.

If are not having response issues with your stylus and screen protector combo what screen protector are you using?

Last edited:

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you were having response issues using a stylus with a screen protector. I have the wrapsol on now cuz it was the only one I could get. I want to use note taker HD but I am having issues with the response.

If are not having response issues with your stylus and screen protector combo what screen protector are you using?

Power Support Crystal film and Dagi stylus combo is working fine in drawing apps for me.

OP
X

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Power Support Crystal film and Dagi stylus combo is working fine in drawing apps for me.

Apple stopped selling those right? The iPad screen is such a fingerprint magnet. It drives me nuts. So I have to use a screen protector. I'll give the Power Support a try. Thanks.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen protector made by Zagg works wells but I am not using a stylus. Plan to in the future.

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Apple stopped selling those right? The iPad screen is such a fingerprint magnet. It drives me nuts. So I have to use a screen protector. I'll give the Power Support a try. Thanks.

You should consider the Power Support anti-glare film instead of crystal if finger prints are bothering you.

OP
X

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen protector made by Zagg works wells but I am not using a stylus. Plan to in the future.

I'm using WrapSol and I love it on the back but on the front it is WAY too thick for use with a stylus. So I'm getting the Powersupport clear and then I'll be able to take notes by hand and stuff.

I'm really afraid to scratch the screen. It is to pretty.

OP
X

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does power support anti glare film make screen blurry?

Not blurry but muted. You get used to it but when you go to change it out you really see how nice the screen is without it. I used the PS AG on my iPhone for a long time but i eventually went clear because of the muted look. It does work though. They should offer a combo pack with a clear and AG so people can test both.

My iPhone is screen is scratched now because I decided to go without screen protection because so many said it wasn't needed.
I'll never go without screen protection again.

jauce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the Power supply anti-glare screen.
It cuts down dramatically on fingerprints and fingerprint smearing that occurs from normal use. Also you can tell that it reduces glare, you can no longer use the ipad as a sort of mirror.

However i have to say i can definitely tell that the screen is sort of blurrier, its sort of looks like there's a layer of blurry pixelation between the screen and me. I noticed this very shortly after putting the screen on.

I'm considering switching to a non-antiglare screen because of that. Mayo7 (or anyone!) can you confirm that the screen still looks excellent with the Power supply clear film?

Onto your actual question,
I just borrowed a pogo sketch from a coworker (who also has an ipad), he did say he wasn't crazy about the pogo, and told me how he lost it in the couch for a week and forgot about it...

I used the pogo with a free "Draw Free" app, drawing out "Hello world" with my finger vs the pogo, drawing the the pogo is fast and easy, I can actually draw hello world faster than i can "draw" hello world with my finger.

I switched over to safari and used the stylus to "type" in a web address, the software keyboard picked up the pogo's "typing" with ease.

I have noticed though that when i hold the pogo at an angle to the ipad (like i would if i was holding a pencil) such that a small amount of the tip is against the screen that occasionally the ipad will miss a small motion i make with the stylus.
For example in safari if i i try to use the pogo to "flick" the page up or down (to move up or down) if i do a small flick (moving only about half an inch) with the pogo at this angle that the ipad misses this motion.

Honestly i think the same thing would happen if you didn't have the screen protector.

So from using the stylus with the power supply antiglare screen for about 30 minutes i'd say the screen does not affect the stylus operation. I haven't tested the stylus without the screen protector so i can't provide a comparison.

Hope this was helpful to you

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jauce,

The screen looks excellent with the power support (not power supply:p) crystal film. Texts are crisp and i haven't had the need to increase the brightness of the screen to compensate for the lack of 'pop' that you apparently get with the anti-glare. You can't even tell there is a screen protector on..

It does have a slightly different texture than the naked glass. A little tacky or sticky kind of feel, but it doesnt affect the smoothness of how my finger glides across the screen. I also feel like fingerprints take less effort to wipe off with this thing installed, but it might just be in my head.

If you want to make little changes as possible to the ipad while adding protection to the screen, this is exactly what to get.

Last edited:

Johng1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wrapsol

I have the Wapsol installed on my iPad and I just tried Paper Desk with a Boxwave stylus. It works so far just find for me. I find before I install a screen protector that some programs work a lot better than others as the touch screen is concerned. Maybe that might be an issue. Have you tried the stylus with any other apps. I was using a light touch that seemed to work for me.

Johng

Johng1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boxwave vs Pogo stylus

Hi,
I have tried both the Pogo stylus and the Boxwave stylus, also, the cheep $2.00 stylus, I don't remember the manufacture. You should try the Boxwave stylus if you think you want to get one. First, a stylus is like using a good pen. In this product the right weight is very import to the feel. I like the slightly heaver weight of the Boxwave stylus. And slightly bigger size. It feels more like a pen in your hand. Although the Pogo's tip on drawing is not bad but the Boxwave is just better it glides over the screen with ease. The Pogo is not bad until you try the Boxwave. The other $2.00 styluses I have are a piece of crap and I through the away. Yes that is not an exaggeration. The rubber tip is so sticky that I can not draw with them at all. These just stick to much to the screen. It is like using an eraser on a pensel to draw with. Even typing or anything else is not very good. All these were used with out a screen protector installed. After installing the Wrapsol screen protector I did try a little the Boxwave stylus and so far in my short test it works well. How well it works compared with out the protector installed I can't say right now without more use. In drawing one really needs a stylus with a thiner tip. I got used to the round bulky tip but I can see how a thinner tip would allow for one to draw more precisely.
I also have the Power supply anti-glare screen.
It cuts down dramatically on fingerprints and fingerprint smearing that occurs from normal use. Also you can tell that it reduces glare, you can no longer use the ipad as a sort of mirror.

However i have to say i can definitely tell that the screen is sort of blurrier, its sort of looks like there's a layer of blurry pixelation between the screen and me. I noticed this very shortly after putting the screen on.

I'm considering switching to a non-antiglare screen because of that. Mayo7 (or anyone!) can you confirm that the screen still looks excellent with the Power supply clear film?

Onto your actual question,
I just borrowed a pogo sketch from a coworker (who also has an ipad), he did say he wasn't crazy about the pogo, and told me how he lost it in the couch for a week and forgot about it...

I used the pogo with a free "Draw Free" app, drawing out "Hello world" with my finger vs the pogo, drawing the the pogo is fast and easy, I can actually draw hello world faster than i can "draw" hello world with my finger.

I switched over to safari and used the stylus to "type" in a web address, the software keyboard picked up the pogo's "typing" with ease.

I have noticed though that when i hold the pogo at an angle to the ipad (like i would if i was holding a pencil) such that a small amount of the tip is against the screen that occasionally the ipad will miss a small motion i make with the stylus.
For example in safari if i i try to use the pogo to "flick" the page up or down (to move up or down) if i do a small flick (moving only about half an inch) with the pogo at this angle that the ipad misses this motion.

Honestly i think the same thing would happen if you didn't have the screen protector.

So from using the stylus with the power supply antiglare screen for about 30 minutes i'd say the screen does not affect the stylus operation. I haven't tested the stylus without the screen protector so i can't provide a comparison.

Hope this was helpful to you

Willed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have the zagg cover and using a stylus? I really like the zagg cover, but my Really CHEAP stylus doesn't work well.

Ipadluv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg with pogo and tarsus does not work

I can tell u my experiences with a zagg screen protector and two styluses that I used and had to return.

1) pogo sketch - did not work and I had to return it.
2) targus from best buy did not work as it had a rubber tip, but it did not glide too smoothly over the zagg screen protector.

I would be interested in finding out others who have a zagg screen and their experiences with other styluses.

The app I used with both the styluses was Sound note for note taking.

Most reactions

Latest posts