What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uses of a remote desktop client

Yoshiki UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been looking at remote desktop clients such as log me in or iTap RDP but was wondering what exactly they can be used for. Could you for example download a torrent (legal of course ;)) from a torrent site and then open it with a torrent programme all from the iPad? Or search Soulseek etc? Because that would mean that I would be able to download on the move, which would be crazy.

Also curious about what people who have a RDC on their iPad tend to do with it. It just seems to good to be true.

OP
Y

Yoshiki UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah damn it, i just saw the thread regarding the best remote desktop client, I could have posted my question in there. I'll post the same question in that thread and a mod can close this if they want.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
with a remote desktop client you have full access to do anything that the PC your connecting to can do.

Your ipad screen is almost transformed into a monitor for that PC and you can control and interact with the PC.

However since this is a remote connection dont plan on doing things like watching videos remotely because the frame rate is way to slow for watching video.

If you connecting to a windows machine I recommend the app called WinAdmin for the iPad.

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With RDP you take control of a computer. Think of the iPad as just peripherals of that computer... the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Whatever you do through RDP is not actually being performed on the iPad but rather on the computer you are connected to.

Could you for example download a torrent (legal of course ;)) from a torrent site and then open it with a torrent programme all from the iPad?
You could control a torrent program on the computer you are connected to and download a torrent onto that computer, but remember that with RDP the iPad is simply peripherals so any torrent you download will reside only on the connected computer. You cannot transfer the downloaded file to the iPad through RDP, and as has already been pointed out, if it's something like a video you cannot stream it through RDP as the frame rate would be too slow.

Also curious about what people who have a RDC on their iPad tend to do with it. It just seems to good to be true.
I sometimes leave my computer running a task that will take all day, so I use RDP to start the task, check on the progress, and possibly start a new task.

For Windows I use LogMeIn Ignition, and for all other OS and use VNC Viewer.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If you connecting to a windows machine I recommend the app called WinAdmin for the iPad.
I downloaded TeamViewer HD a couple of days ago and it works very nicely with Vista... and ITS FREE!!!

I'm not a fan of ones that require 3rd party software to be running on the computer at all times. I gave teamviewer a try and while their service is great the ipad implementation is lacking. I hate how moving my finger on the screen just moves the mouse like a big track ball. I want to be able to just click where I need to click without using the screen as a track ball and take a few seconds to move the mouse cursor where it needs to be before clicking. Also its great that they have the option to switch to a second monitor if the PC is using dual monitories but again I had how they implemented it. I'm sitting their shaking my ipad(probably looks like im fighting it) to switch monitors when they have tons of open space down on the bottom menu bar for a button to switch monitors.

Last edited:
OP
Y

Yoshiki UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awesome, i'm probably going to try Team Viewer HD to see what its like and what I use it for, and then perhaps 'upgrade' to a paid app. Should be good.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that the TeamViewer app is lacking in some areas... except for the price. The main reason I "upgraded" from an iPod Touch to an iPad (other than being a major gadget freak!) was to read books and in that respect, it exceeds all my expectations. Other than that, I feel it is my duty to explore as many free apps as I can!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've become a big fan of Wyse Pocket Cloud. It has the best mouse support I have found. You can do mouseover, right click, "wheel scrolling", text selecting and all of that kind of thing easily.

While you cant do video with acceptable frame rate, you can send the audio from your desktop to the iPad. The Wyse app and a few others let you adjust how much bandwidth you want to allocate to audio to prioritize sound quality over screen frame rate.

Last edited:

Nakubal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey All!

Looking to buy an iPad but one of my main needs is being able to control a Windows 7 machine remotely but still be able to do things like present Powerpoint presentations on THAT machine's external video projector.

My understanding is that the remote desktop applications block the video on that remote machine (like remote desktop does for windows) so you could not show the PowerPoint presentation on the remote machine's video projector.

Anyone know of an app that can do this yet? I see that Air Display may be working on a windows version (says it is in Alpha) that may fit the bill once it gets finished and maxivista *may* be working on being able to use the iPad's touch capabilities in the future.

Need one now or it is not worth the $$ for me yet to get the iPad.

Any suggestions?

Most reactions

Latest posts