What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

used ipad 1

dunkinidaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish to buy a used ipad 1 for my grandchildren so we can face-time. How would I "format" the unit to wipe all previous info and apps from the thing. Or, is this something that I should ask the seller to do. Perhaps ipads can't be formatted, I have no idea. Please advise

thanks!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Settings/General/Reset/Erase all contents and Settings.

Do NOT do this if its jail broken. In this case, have a look at the Hacking section for further info.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a more than even chance the vendor will do this for you prior to the sale. Most people would, to clear out any personal data they have on there. And if anyone offers an iPad with a load of games on it, don't be taken in. Any apps will be keyed to their AppleID, not yours.

If you need any more info, just holler and we will be here.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't do Facetime with an iPad 1 since the original iPad doesn't have a camera.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Crap. I'm dumb. I never noticed that. Someone slap me.

Yup. You need an iPad 2.

sonico74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My old iPad 1 is just beside me and still working fine (but a bit slow). I confirm : No camera so No Facetime

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sonico74 said:
My old iPad 1 is just beside me and still working fine (but a bit slow). I confirm : No camera so No Facetime

As long as you use the iPad 1 within its limitations, it will continue to give you years of good service.

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's gonna cost you 99 dollars I guess.My friend owns an ipad 1 he took it to some shop over here.And it cost him 99$

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nikhil said:
It's gonna cost you 99 dollars I guess.My friend owns an ipad 1 he took it to some shop over here.And it cost him 99$

What costs $99.00? We weren't talking about iPad repair on this thread.

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know.Here they fit a front camera for 99$.In Hyderabad,India.Thats what I was telling

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if you could fit a front camera to the device, the OS is missing the software necessary to drive it. That sounds like a scam to me! ;)

You don't magically get access to the camera app / facetime etc. just by adding the hardware to the device! Those components are missing from IOS on the iPad1 and you cannot simply choose to add them yourself. IOS doesn't work like that.

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Even if you could fit a front camera to the device, the OS is missing the software necessary to drive it. That sounds like a scam to me! ;)

You don't magically get access to the camera app / facetime etc. just by adding the hardware to the device! Those components are missing from IOS on the iPad1 and you cannot simply choose to add them yourself. IOS doesn't work like that.

We can use Skype

Most reactions

Latest posts