What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB adapter??

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i have a USB flash drive with a ton of pictures on it that I was using with my old laptop.
I would rather just use my iPad. I’ve tried Amazon and read the reviews but, nothing seems definitive.
Is there an adapter available that can let my iPad read from a USB flash drive?

Thank you
Mark

OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We need more info. Define "using." Do you want to copy the images to your iPad? Do you want to display them on the iPad without copying? Do you want to edit them in an iPad app? There are solutions for all of these things.

OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We need more info. Define "using." Do you want to copy the images to your iPad? Do you want to display them on the iPad without copying? Do you want to edit them in an iPad app? There are solutions for all of these things.
I have pictures on the drive and I would like to view and transfer some of them
them to my iPad.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple makes the "iPad camera connection kit" that includes a USB/SD card adapter. I don't have one, and can't tell you whether it will also read a USB thumb drive, if that's what you have. Before buying one, check to make sure it's compatible with whatever model iPad you have.

For free, but with a learning curve, you could copy the images onto your computer's hard drive, then choose them to sync via iTunes to copy them to the iPad's Photos app. If you organize them into folders on your computer, the folders will transfer to the iPad as well. This is what I do with about 800 photos scanned from slides going back to 1972.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Camera Connection Kit is not an option, if you wish to view or transfer files. It can connect cameras and USB peripherals such as keyboards to the iPad, but when you connect a flash drive, you‘ll get „This accessory draws too much power“.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a Hootoo HT-TM02 TripMate Nano Wireless N Pocket Travel Router with several USB memory sticks, although only one can be used at a time. Available from Amazon.

Also there is a review on this forum posted a few years ago, but the review encouraged me to buy one for my needs.

Most reactions

Latest posts