What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Senator fights for the right to use the iPad from takeoff to landing

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is zero chance of emissions from mobile devices affecting an aircraft. However it is obvious from the responses here that a lot of people still believe it is. We all watch too many Movies. There are lots of shows that show what really happens. Mythbusters does a fairly good job most of the time - big exception is the Lie Detector episode (the Lie detector machine is bogus - the operator is the one deciding if you are lying).

One reason that you are not supposed to use an iPod (and it was walkmen before that) before takeoff is that they want you to pay attention to the warning / instructional videos and air safety announcements. Originally the emissions from mobile devices were feared to interfere with communications but that has been proven long ago to be a baseless fear.

Do you think 300 mobile phones in an aircraft which is on the ground, then taxi-ing for takeoff, then taking off and so on are emitting as much interference as the signals from the mobile towers and all the other sources of radiation and radio waves that are outside the aircraft? How about all the TV screen and entertainment systems in modern aircraft? Your mobile / tablet / MP3 player will not even register a blip. I bet less than half the people on a plane even put their phones into aircraft mode (or even know how to).

Two words, Tenerife disaster. While it may not have been caused by passengers electronics, it happened because of interference with the tower and a planes communication. Because airlines don't take a list of electronics you have and research what kind of frequency or waves it emits, it's just safer to say disable all electronics for 5 minutes when communication is crucial for takeoff and landings.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never flown the "big boys", but as a pilot of smaller aircraft ranging from a Cessna 172 to a larger twin engine Piper Seneca (thus my handle tag) the only thing I have ever noticed with cell phones interfering with anything is when I received a call while in flight, there would be an obnoxious buzzing over the headset. Nothing major and there are very different regulations for general aviation versus commercial carrier operations. My 2 pennies worth. :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't believe the fuss over five minutes without electronics when you damned near have to submit to a body cavity search before boarding. There are bigger fish to fry here. The senator might have her heart in the right place, but working on relaxing the near prison camp mentality surrounding airports would be a better use of time, IMO.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two words, Tenerife disaster. While it may not have been caused by passengers electronics, it happened because of interference with the tower and a planes communication. Because airlines don't take a list of electronics you have and research what kind of frequency or waves it emits, it's just safer to say disable all electronics for 5 minutes when communication is crucial for takeoff and landings.

Actually, the main cause of the Tenerife crash was dense fog.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, the main cause of the Tenerife crash was dense fog.

It was a factor, but communication disruption between the tower and the plane ready to take off resulted in the plane taking off before it should've

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of Senator McCaskell but on this issue I definitely agree with her. Yes, there are far worse things to deal with on a daily basis, but this inconvenience is completely unnecessary. I can understand airplane mode needing to be set during this period, but turning devices off all together, sorry but it just isn't.

And to those making the comment about how we should just be able to put down our devices for 5 minutes, again, but no, I shouldn't haven't to. What you may see as just as screen, I see as a way to read books and magazines, a privilege people who have physical versions of those products can do under 10,000 feet, but I, who reads digital books and magazines cannot because of this idiotic rule.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of Senator McCaskell but on this issue I definitely agree with her. Yes, there are far worse things to deal with on a daily basis, but this inconvenience is completely unnecessary. I can understand airplane mode needing to be set during this period, but turning devices off all together, sorry but it just isn't.

And to those making the comment about how we should just be able to put down our devices for 5 minutes, again, but no, I shouldn't haven't to. What you may see as just as screen, I see as a way to read books and magazines, a privilege people who have physical versions of those products can do under 10,000 feet, but I, who reads digital books and magazines cannot because of this idiotic rule.

If this were put into practice, how would flight attendants tell whether everyone had their devices set to airplane mode? I don't figure you'd be thrilled by some kind of manual check of everyone's devices.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Those of you who think that even half the mobile phones in baggage, purses, pockets and carry ons are turned off or in airplane mode must not fly very often...

Planes do not crash because of mobile phones.

The so-called study of the effect of mobile phones was done in a lab in the UK and the results were inconclusive.

The FAA has never done their own study.

Interference with avionics is a non issue.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Those of you who think that even half the mobile phones in baggage, purses, pockets and carry ons are turned off or in airplane mode must not fly very often...

The so-called study of the effect of mobile phones was done in a lab in the UK and the results were inconclusive.

You avoided mentioning Mythbusters! Hopefully no one is going to flame you for it!

To those criticising others about not being able to turn off their device for five minutes... That is called playing the man and not the ball.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I fly pretty frequently, but that has nothing to do with whether I know whose devices are turned on or off. All I can see is whether someone's device is put away or not, lol.

Personally, I don't think having devices on will make planes crash, but I also can live without having my devices on every minute. To me, having them off for a short time is the non-issue.

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do they check to see if you actually turned off your devices now instead of just turning off the screen and putting your iPad in the seat pocket in front of you? I do at least put my devices in airplane mode first... and pray that no notifications go off...

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad our politicians are tackling the most pressing issues the country faces, such as not being able to use ones iPad at all stages of the flight; an issue affecting the vast majority of the people and causing incomprehensible grief and anguish. I feel my tax dollars are being spent wisely.

Surely you jest?..

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm glad our politicians are tackling the most pressing issues the country faces, such as not being able to use ones iPad at all stages of the flight; an issue affecting the vast majority of the people and causing incomprehensible grief and anguish. I feel my tax dollars are being spent wisely.

I wish our UK politicians were so diligent and forthcoming when dealing with such pressing issues! There again, they are :D
Just in case I am taken seriously, only kidding ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do they check to see if you actually turned off your devices now instead of just turning off the screen and putting your iPad in the seat pocket in front of you? I do at least put my devices in airplane mode first... and pray that no notifications go off...

They can't tell, which is why I think planes don't crash with devices on -- there probably are a good number who don't turn off their devices; they're probably just in sleep mode.

The thing is, no federal bureaucrat is willing to say, OK everyone turns on their devices, and risks anything happening on his watch, tests or no tests.

Randomly, have you seen some of the knockoff devices coming out of Asia? Some of those things are totally untested, unregulated. Who knows what a bunch of those might do? Maybe they'd set off the smoke alarms, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts